logitech g5 or mx518?

littlejohn1959

Weaksauce
greetings . i am in the process of purchaseing a new mouse .
i am pleased with the logitech brandname . i have a trouble free g15 keyboard .
which of these 2 mice , would you choose .
logitech g5 , or logitech mx518?
any suggestions , would be great .
thanks for reading .
cheers .

I always find that input devices are very much a matter of personal liking. A mouse that one person may absolutely love, another will find nothing but annoying...that said.

I recently bought the MX518 and would go with that one between the two. I definitely have grown to like mine. I had been using an MS Intellimouse for probably the past 4+ years or something when it finally died. I actually tried the G5 first, but ended up returning it. It was comfortable; however, the one thing I did not like was how far I had to pick it up off the pad before it would stop tracking (just a standard cloth-type covered mouse pad). The MX518 seems much better about this, just a small lift more like what I was used to.

Really, try both and see if one stands out to you.

Crazy.. sure seem to be a lot of people looking at new mice..

I prefer the MX518, it's a great mouse... I love mine.

I have a g5 and it's a great mouse. The rev2 has a second thumb button which would be nice. As far as look and feel it's the best mouse I've had. BUT, and this is a big but, it seems the logitech setpoint drivers conflict with geforce 8800 drivers...which I happen to have. Mouse works great with no drivers but I can't program the extra buttons... this problem started with setpoint 3.2 drivers and still exists in the new 4.0 drivers :mad: I guess I might just buy an MS mouse.

thanks for the imput here .
i contacted my computer dealer here in canada . the newer g5 version will not be here no time soon .
i have decided to purchase the mx518 .
i have read some reviews . both mice seem to be head to head .
to be honest , i really dont know much about the tech parts of the mice .
i presently use a cheap mouse , so i am pretty sure i will be very happy with the mx518 .
again , thanks for your help and suggestions .
cheers .

I've just got mx518 which goes up to 1800dpi (vs regular 1600dpi).. I gues it's rev2 or something for mx518, and the difference is even less vis-a-vis the G5...

greetings . i am in the process of purchaseing a new mouse .
i am pleased with the logitech brandname . i have a trouble free g15 keyboard .
which of these 2 mice , would you choose .
logitech g5 , or logitech mx518?
any suggestions , would be great .
thanks for reading .
cheers .

You know I don't really like the textured feel of the G5 Rev. 2. I would get the original G5, or the BF2142 version of the G5. Mine has been great to me, never had any troubles. The weight changing function is great, too.

I have also owned the MX518. I still do, now that I think of it. I use it for my workstation. I like the G5 just a tiny (And I mean minuscule) amount more than my MX518. I like it more because of the weight changing function, the laser, and the sensitivity LED display.

I have also owned the MX518. I still do, now that I think of it. I use it for my workstation. I like the G5 just a tiny (And I mean minuscule) amount more than my MX518. I like it more because of the weight changing function, the laser, and the sensitivity LED display.

I've had and used both, and though I like the G5 more (for the same reasons), I kept my MX518 because I could use it as a PS/2 and as a USB mouse. Then again, I also do computer troubleshooting as a side hobby, and I've been (re)building some computers lately, so having that ability was more important for me.

Back