Logitech G5 Laser Equivalent?

jbltecnicspro

[H]F Junkie
I have an older G5 laser mouse from 2006. It's still going strong, and I wanted to get another Logitech mouse that has a very similar feel and feature-set. Which model should I go with? The G5 has an adjustable weight to it, and I really really love the feel for it, and I was hoping that there exists a current model that I can put on my LAN boxes that feels the same.

Oh man, I used to LURRRRVV my G5. But then I had a chance to buy a G700 and I've never looked back. it doesn't have weights like the G5, but as long as you keeep the G700 corded, you can remove the battery to make it lighter which is what I did. I even bought another G700 as a backup and I use it for work. I love how you can store profiles on the mouse itself so if I ever bring my mouse anywhere, all of the buttons have the same functions and I don't need to install any software on the computer I am using my mouse on.

The current equivalent is the Logitech G502 Proteus Core, it has adjustable weights and is approximately the same size. The reviews are good, but I don't have one (I have a G500, which is great), but it's what I'd probably buy if I needed new mouse today.

Today Logi has a great set of mice that will likely feel similar, but welcome improvements over a G5. Depending on the exact features, price, shape and button set you wish, I'd urge you to look at the G302 Daedalus Prime, G402 Hyperion Fury, and G502 Proteus Core.

I'd personally go for the G502 Proteus Core - many feel it is using the best sensor currently available today, and it has a lot of winning features. For instance, it has a weight balancing system like the G5, and is the only one of the three listed that has both the "rockable left/right scroll wheel" that is also a "dual mode" scroll wheel capable of standard click mode or the smooth/flying scroll option. It has the most programmable buttons of the listed mice and all are placed well. It is said to work with both palm and claw grips as you like. Of course, all of the most recent Logi mice make use of the excellent Logitech Gaming Software (and their APIs) for customization.

If I was going to buy a G5 replacement, I'd grab the G502 Proteus Core. It is known as one of the best all-around mice available today.

I have a G500, G502, and G9x. The G502 is narrower than the G500, has a crappy textured grip (they cut triangles into a hard plastic so it's neither grippy nor comfortable), and you have to claw grip it if you don't want your thumb tip being irritated by the "sniper" button. G9x remains my favorite.

My suggestion would be shopping around for used G500's if that's what you have and like. The 502 is not a direct replacement.

Oh but the G502 did have a very nice cord on it. Very flexible and covered in a soft fabric.

The current replacement is the G502, but I'm sure you can find the previous model G500s online still. For all intents and purposes it is the same mouse as the G5 and G500 (exact same shape), just slightly upgraded.

The current replacement is the G502, but I'm sure you can find the previous model G500s online still. For all intents and purposes it is the same mouse as the G5 and G500 (exact same shape), just slightly upgraded.

Keep silent when you're ignorant of truth.

The general shape is similar, but that's where the similarities end. The contours are substantially different. The 502 also has an annoying thumb button where people like me with longer thumbs have to curl it in to avoid rubbing on its edge.

And here's what my hand looks like holding both in a natural way. You can see how the G500 closer hugs my hand than the lower slung G502.

Last edited:
Forget Logitech's Ugly mice line get a Steelseries Rival it's awesome like it way more then my G500.

I tried upgrading from my G5 to the G500 but it wasn't for me. The dual-mode scroll wheel was a deal breaker. Eventually got a Roccat Kone XTD and I love it.

Keep silent when you're ignorant of truth.

The general shape is similar, but that's where the similarities end. The contours are substantially different. The 502 also has an annoying thumb button where people like me with longer thumbs have to curl it in to avoid rubbing on its edge.

And here's what my hand looks like holding both in a natural way. You can see how the G500 closer hugs my hand than the lower slung G502.

Please don't say I'm ignorant of the truth when you can't read my post correctly in the first place. ;) I was referring to the G500s. The last noun I referred to in the first sentence was the G500s, therefore in that context when I refer to "it" in the next sentence I'm referring to the G500s.

The G500s is nearly the same as the older G500, but has an upgraded laser/sensor. The G500 and G500s has the same form factor and button placement. The G502 is completely different, but nevertheless the successor to the G5, G500, G500s line.

I currently have a G5, G500, and G500s in my possession. They are almost an identical mold except for the thumb button change that happened on the G500. The exterior plastic material and grip may have changed, but I'm willing to bet their overall shape is less than a couple millimeters in difference. Again, the G502 is a completely new mouse.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I had a G5 and was very sad when I finally had to put it to ground. That mouse got me countless kills in CoD (1 and 2, I never got into the later ones) and I-don't-want-to-know-how-many hours in MC, BWL and AQ. After my G5 bit it I moved up to a G700 and have never looked back.

Back