Logitech G13 + Bad Company 2 = ?

Roman79

[H]ard|Gawd
So I picked up a G13 gameboard last night, thinking that it'd work really well in BC2. Honestly it was an impulse buy because I found one 40% off.

I'm really impressed with the quality of the unit, and the neat things you can do with the LCD display. I really wish there was a BC2 profile though.

I consider myself a decent player, but using the G13 I'm really terrible. I like the feel of it for most things, but I find when I reach for certain keys in a firefight (such as the number keys on a standard keyboard to change weapons) they're not where I expect them to be, and I get stabbed in the face :(

I have not setup any special keys, I'm just using it stock "out of the box" atm.

So what I'm wondering is:

- Are there any other G13 users here?
- Do you like it?
- Should I stick with it and try and get used to it?
- Are there any special key mappings or macros I should setup?

Thanks in advance!

I used to use N52te but changed to G13, been using it for a year now and so far its a good transition. My configuration is like this:

Unassigned | Tab | 2 | W | E | 3 | Unassigned
Unassigned | Q | A | S | D | R | Unassigned
Shift | 1 | X | 4 | F |
F1 | V | F2 |

The thumb stick is something like this:

Reload
CRTL Alt Knife (make a keyboard shorcut)
F
Jump

Hope this helps you;)

I have a G13 and used it last night during a few rounds of BFBC2 and it took some getting used too. Normally I use my Nostromo N52e but I thought let me try the G13 and I must say it was tough and I too feel I am pretty good at Battlefield in general but the G13 made it a little difficult last night. But I remember when I bought the Nostromo a fews ago for BF2 and I started using it it took me almost a week to get used to the feel of it and another week to really settle in with it. Now I would be lost without it.
The G13 is going to be the same way, just hang in there and give it about a week or so.

As for setting up macros that's up to you, it does not look like BFBC2 really needs any. In 2142 I had macros setup to setup my kit loadout but in BFBC2 I find myself constantly changing my kit. That is the nice thing about the G13 it is pretty flexible in what it can do.

See you on the Battlefield

Alright......

Well day 2 and things are going better; not perfect but better. Within a week I'm sure I won't be able to play without it.

Thanks for the pointers guys!

I have a G13 and it took me about a week or two to get used to it. After a few months I still find the analog stick to be fairly useless.

I use the analog stick on my G13 for vehicle seats (F1-F4). Other than that, I just set it up a profile for BC2 just like I used to do with the N52 and BF2/2142. I actually like it better than the N52 now, after a few months of use.

I have used an older Belkin N52 and never got the N52te due to it having the same quantity of buttons and only different keys. No disrespect for the Belkin crowd.

I have a G13 now and I love it.

I haven't set it up completely for BFBC2, but that's because setting it up takes away game time. ;) So this is a rough draft of my intended setup

For BFBC2 I use the analog stick with the weapon selection. This works great because it allows me to switch weapons and still be moving without twisting my hand.
Left Stick = 1
Up Stick = 2
Right Stick = 3
Down Stick = 4
G1 = ESC
G2 = Tab
G8 = Alt
G9 = Caps Lock
G24 = Space

I originally got this for BF2 which had a lot more buttons needed such as Accept/Deny buttons which I set for G1 & G8.

The best thing is the programming is awesome...no problems with their software. Definitely nice that you can save profiles to the device.

BTW where did you find it for 40% off?

For BFBC2 I use the analog stick with the weapon selection. This works great because it allows me to switch weapons and still be moving without twisting my hand.
Left Stick = 1
Up Stick = 2
Right Stick = 3
Down Stick = 4
G1 = ESC
G2 = Tab
G8 = Alt
G9 = Caps Lock
G24 = Space

I originally got this for BF2 which had a lot more buttons needed such as Accept/Deny buttons which I set for G1 & G8.

The best thing is the programming is awesome...no problems with their software. Definitely nice that you can save profiles to the device.

BTW where did you find it for 40% off?

The analog stick to change weapons? Brillant! That's the biggest issue I'm (still) having is I find it hard to reach G1-G4 which is the default for the 1-4 number keys.

I bought my G13 at Futureshop; they were normally $104CDN, but I noticed an open-box marked down to around $69, which I thought was odd because normally open-box discounts there are 5 or 10%. I openned the box and it appeared "like new" so I took a chance.

I have the Joystick Left set to jump on my G13 and the little button next to the joystick for talking.

Button G13 is Reload since G6 just seems un-natural.

I have a G13 too. I love this thing. I'll try out some of the layouts you guys have. I like the thumbstick for weapon switch as well.

I used to use the thumbstick to switch targets in WoW (forward flick) or talk on vent (backward press.) The only issue was that if you'd furiously switch targets, the spring in the stick was strong enough to click vent on for half a second.

So...I've tried the thumbstick to switch weapons and it's "ok", but not as good as I'd hoped. Flicking the stick isn't as definative as pushing a button, and I find that in the heat of firefight I often can't flick accurately enough.
Maybe I just need to suck it up and get used to the default keys.

Really the G13 doesn't have any profile's for the display?

BC2 has a profile for the G15 automatically installed when you install the game..its pretty cool

Really the G13 doesn't have any profile's for the display?

BC2 has a profile for the G15 automatically installed when you install the game..its pretty cool

If I understand what you're asking, then yes it does. When I load the game the G13 display shows a BC2 logo, and a bunch of stats while I'm playing the game.
There is no BC2 under the list of games though for preset key mappings.

I have a g13 that I bought for MMO usage. I am in the same boat as the OP. I am trying to work the g13 and its wonderful macro system into my BC2 gameplay. It's not easy though. I am very happy with the g13 for all intents and purposes. I remember it took me a very long time to break my keyboard usage habits for MMOs, but I eventually did.

I'm having a really weird issue with this in BC2. I've set up the joystick to be 1-4, but it rarely works properly. The hardware and software seem fine - if I go to the test page in the software, the joystick movements correctly correspond with the numbers they're supposed to.

In the game, however, I can press for "2" and end up with "1", etc. Watching my HUD, something weird is going on with the selector.

I'll try to explain better soon. Bottom line is that it just doesn't work right in this config.

Last edited:
So I picked up a G13 gameboard last night, thinking that it'd work really well in BC2. Honestly it was an impulse buy because I found one 40% off.

I'm really impressed with the quality of the unit, and the neat things you can do with the LCD display. I really wish there was a BC2 profile though.

I consider myself a decent player, but using the G13 I'm really terrible. I like the feel of it for most things, but I find when I reach for certain keys in a firefight (such as the number keys on a standard keyboard to change weapons) they're not where I expect them to be, and I get stabbed in the face :(

I have not setup any special keys, I'm just using it stock "out of the box" atm.

So what I'm wondering is:

- Are there any other G13 users here?
- Do you like it?
- Should I stick with it and try and get used to it?
- Are there any special key mappings or macros I should setup?

Thanks in advance!

There IS a BC2 profile... it shows all sorts of stats in game.

The LCD display is different than a key profile. BC2 is programmed to directly control the LCD, whereas Logitech has to provide a default profile for keybindings.

I tried using the G13 for BC2 but just couldn't get into it. As others stated swapping weapons with the thumbstick doesn't give enough feedback and I always end up with the wrong weapon in combat. That and after buying the Logitech Illuminated keyboard (basically a full size laptop keyboard) the G13 buttons feel mushy and unresponsive in general, although not nearly as bad as a N52. However for MMO's the G13 is still great.

A potential use I *do* have for the G13 in BC2 though is as a flight control for the helicopters. Since the latest driver update the thumbstick actually counts as an analog device so with a little configuring it should be possible to get it to work well for flying.

One modification I saw for the G13 on the logitech forums was replacing the thumbstick with a PS3/Xbox controller thumbstick (the default stick is god-awful and uncomfortable), unfortunately it involves taking the unit apart to do so. However I imagine it would be possible to fit a hat onto the top of it to increase the surface area with a little work, allowing it to be used for directional movement over long periods of time.

I only bought the thing because I needed something for my laptop, where it's awkward to cram one hand on the laptop and another on a separate mouse. (Even on a desktop, using the G13 lets me spread my hands out a bit without constantly repositioning my keyboard.)

That said, I'd never have bought it had I not owned a laptop. For the same price, or less, you can get a bigger display with the same functionality and, you know, an actual G15 keyboard. The keys are pretty nice on the G13 (fat, and the WASD keys are ergonomic) but the unit is really nothing more than WASD and surrounding buttons cropped from a G15-ish keyboard alongside a weird pseudo-joystick.

Back