• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Logitech 5500's Worht it for $200?

EQTakeOffense

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 12, 2002
Messages
1,643
I work at CC and through the employee discount I can get the Logitech z-5500 for $200. Is there anything better then these that aren't THAT much more?

I was looking at the creative 7.1 setups, and they look nice, but 400-500 dollars are they REALLY worth it? It seem to me that these are a killer deal, but if the creatives are that much better, I might just get those instead.
 
Ive got these speakers and i think that if you can get them for $200 its a steal. I would buy them in a heart beat.
 
They are not bad speakers as far as computer setups go...

My only complaint is they are lacking a bit in the highs, and have awful bass. Definetly oversaturated, but if you like your music with a loud bottoming out sound. Then Logitech speakers are definetly for you.

Other than that I would suggest staying away from Creative, they are decent at everything, but not great at anything for that kind of money.

For computer setups I generally only recommend Klipsch
 
I got mine for 204 and it is worth every penny. Get it...you wont regret it.
 
If you think that's a steal, I just sold my brand new unopened set for 170 ;) and they are pretty good for 200 bucks.
 
Lol, thanks alot for the replies. I work on Tuesday again, so, that's the day I'll get 'em. :D
 
I'd say listen to some nice home theatre speakers and then listen to the logitechs :)

I used to have a set of altec lansing vs4121's that I thought were amazing. After upgrading to my HT system and using it for quite a while, I listened to the vs4121's again. Let's just say that they sounded cheap to my ears. I'm sure others listening to my speakers from high end might say the same.

My point.. listen to a wide level of sound hardware and see what gives you the most pleasure for the money. Some people may not be able to hear much difference, but others may have better tuned ears. Find the best speakers you're willing to pay for and go for them.

I personally haven't heard the logitechs, they may be amazing and as much as you care to spend. But if you think you may enjoy high quality music, just give some other options a go. Then again, ignorance may be bliss.. :)
 
well, my HT isnt high end at all, but not complete either.. waiting for the acoustech H100 subwoofer and some polk R15's to go on sale to complete it... AND a center... I have R30's as fronts :D '

Anyways, there is a big difference in sound quality going from computer speakers to non computer speakers, but if you only have 200 to spend and want a COMPLETE system, that's the only way to go really.. I mean I spent 200 on my front, R30's pair is around 100 when on sale, bought my receiver used for 100 bucks, gonna order a subwoofer sometimes this week for 250, the surrounds would be around 60 shipped, and the center would be another good 120 or so... when you add that all up, it's gonna cost WAY more than a set of z-5500 which would be perfect for gamers and decent music listening from your PC.

And besides, you're not gonna get surround in games if you go HT, only IF the game supports Dolby Digital or something.. which is RARE.

BTW EQTAKEOFFENSE.... how much IS the emplyee discount anyways? you might be able to grab some of those Polk M20's M10's Circuitcity has for a good price.... and a receiver too....... But that's only if you can afford to sacrafice surround in games for better sound quality.
 
aZn_plyR said:
well, my HT isnt high end at all, but not complete either.. waiting for the acoustech H100 subwoofer and some polk R15's to go on sale to complete it... AND a center... I have R30's as fronts :D '

Anyways, there is a big difference in sound quality going from computer speakers to non computer speakers, but if you only have 200 to spend and want a COMPLETE system, that's the only way to go really.. I mean I spent 200 on my front, R30's pair is around 100 when on sale, bought my receiver used for 100 bucks, gonna order a subwoofer sometimes this week for 250, the surrounds would be around 60 shipped, and the center would be another good 120 or so... when you add that all up, it's gonna cost WAY more than a set of z-5500 which would be perfect for gamers and decent music listening from your PC.

And besides, you're not gonna get surround in games if you go HT, only IF the game supports Dolby Digital or something.. which is RARE.

BTW EQTAKEOFFENSE.... how much IS the emplyee discount anyways? you might be able to grab some of those Polk M20's M10's Circuitcity has for a good price.... and a receiver too....... But that's only if you can afford to sacrafice surround in games for better sound quality.

I know it would cost more, that's where my warning of whether the price is worth it or not came from. Some people don't notice lower quality sound, and some just don't know. That's why listening to different price ranges would be a great benefit for him. Also, some people just want something cheap that will suit their needs for a little bit of gaming and music without going through the trouble of receiver setup and such.

You can get surround very nicely with a receiver by hooking up your soundcard to the receiver using analog inputs. This is what I did and get all the nice things that come with EAX.

If you decided yo uwant to try a HT setup, you can buy your parts as you go. So buying a better sounding 2.0 system now with a 5.1/7.1 receiver, and upgrading down the line as you have money or see fit.

Just giving you the choices.
 
Well, the the logitech stuff I get about half off.

I was honestly thinking about going to a HT system. I would get the X-FI Elite Pro then use that optical out to go to the reciver, but, I just can't justify the extra money for games. I got an Onkyo 7.1 system with speakers and all for $400 and it sounds awesome, but will I really notice that big of a difference in games? If I get a HT system it would be one of these Oknkyo systems HERE
 
EQTakeOffense said:
Well, the the logitech stuff I get about half off.

I was honestly thinking about going to a HT system. I would get the X-FI Elite Pro then use that optical out to go to the reciver, but, I just can't justify the extra money for games. I got an Onkyo 7.1 system with speakers and all for $400 and it sounds awesome, but will I really notice that big of a difference in games? If I get a HT system it would be one of these Oknkyo systems HERE

I doubt you would need the X-Fi Elite Pro to get the most out of a low-end HT system, any other X-Fi should suffice. And you could skip the optical out to the receiver and just use 3 rca to minijack connectors (what I do), and you can experience all the gaming joys the X-Fi can give (optical bad for gaming, analog good).

As far as the Onkyo system is concerned, I hear that the center channel isn't great, but the other speakers are ok. This coming from audiophiles, so they may just have super human hearing. You might be better off getting a used receiver and buying the speakers separate. I have these Acoustic Research HC6 speakers coupled with my tx-sr503, and it sounds great. But looking back, it would probably have been smarter to have bought bookshelf speakers first and upgrade gradually to 5.1. Depending of if you need 5.1 right now, you have plenty of options.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yah if you have the money it seems like HT (dump 5000 dollars more on one LOL) is the way to go if you are REALLY into sound but for 200 bucks logitech z-5500 is good way to go! I got them and they rock and logitech customer service is great too :)
 
Well, I'm not going to spend over $500 my sound system, whether it's for HT or not.

I was so tempted to just get the Logitechs, but my ultimate question is, do I have the need for an AV receiver? I honestly doubt there will be a huge different in sound quality (that I could tell atleast) between the logitechs and the Onkyo's besides the fact that the Onkyo's will be able to get louder. Then, to me, it really comes dow to whether I need an AV receiver or not. The only reason I'd want one is If I decide to put my game consoles in my room, XBOX 360 and perhapes PS3 when it comes out.

Hm... Tough choices. Thanks for the input though, you got me thinking again =)
 
dude, this is just for gaming and MAYBE some music..... forget the HT, and all the hassle, for gaming.. thge z-5500 rocked my SOCKS OFF.... it is really good for gaming.. forget the Onkyo, the z-5500 sub though not as tight sounding, will pound much much much harder, thus much better for gaming.. period. I used my z-5500 on the HL2 Dystopia mod, and turned it up.. man it was GREAT!

ALSO, since you won't have much use for a receiver anyways, like you said, and if you're not satisfied with the z-5500's satellites,,, whcih I doubt you will, when Fry's has the R15's on sale for 50 bucks a pair, grab those and replace the fronts... this will give you a cheap upgrade...

Anyways, I say defintely go for the Logitech's now.
 
aZn_plyR said:
forget the Onkyo, the z-5500 sub though not as tight sounding, will pound much much much harder, thus much better for gaming

That's like saying your car engine revs higher, and though it gets beaten by a kia, it's 10x better at racing.

What good is pounding if it sounds like nothing?
 
well, what I mean is... the z-5500 should be more powerful...... though not as musical...as the onkyo's.... but that isn't a bad thing for gaming... where the extra power/impact plays a bigger role than cleaner, but also weaker bass.

And what do you mean sounds like nothing.. the bass is decent for 200 bucks, though a little overpowering.. which can be adjusted anyways.. and replace the word pound with impact :D
 
z-5500's are an outstanding set of out of the box speakers for $200 or less, like $170 :D
i have no complaints. the games love it, it pisses my neighbors off (last month in an apt complex) and the music sounds great after playing with the EQ a bit
 
Back
Top