Login scripts bad

The company where I work has introduced a damn login script that opens my browser to an intranet page and they change my default homepage to the same page whenever I log onto my computer.

Is there any way to block this? Aside from never shutting down my computer, I'd like to NOT open the damn browser and NOT have my homepage blown away.

Well, if it's their policy that such a thing happens and they want their homepage as the default, there isn't a whole lot you can do about it.

The only real way out of this is to talk to the admins and see if there is a way they will allow you to change it.
I know we don't allow our users to do that, but your admins may not be as strict as we are.

Thanks for the replys.

I'm O.K. with the admins, but they wrote all the scripts as group policies, so changing mine would mean writing on specifically for me. I'm pretty much SOL since the admins are pretty rigid ... specially when they actually have to do some work. I'm not knocking admins in general, but their boss is a 1st class loser who never does anything so the guys are over-worked, so they tend to cut corners as much as possible and have a knee-jerk reaction of saying No! We can't do that!

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll stop turning my computer off :)

Masterphool said:
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll stop turning my computer off :)

That will only work until your network password expires and you are forced to log off and back on again to gain access to email, intarweb, etc...

You could have them filter your user out of the GPO by using a deny read permission. It would be easy to do, but most admins with common sense wouldn't even entertain the thought since using permissions-based filtering on a per user level is far from a best practice.

Maybe you could convince them it's in their best interests to create a "policy exempt" group, and use the deny-read permissions filtering on that group.

Either way they wouldn't need to write a whole new policy for you. I know that the half-dozen mouse clicks it'd take to do that would be a challenge. Seriously though, I understand where they're coming from. Managing by exception just leads to a big mess eventually.

I force a default homepage, screen saver, and wallpaper on all users through GPO's. I like conforming the employee machines so I don't keep sitting down to different desktops, different annoying wall papers, and odd font sizes that become increasingly hard to read. If a user asked me if they can set any of these options to their liking I'd simply tell them no.

Back