Login Script Help

mac_cnc

2[H]4U
Ok currently our network uses standard BAT files for their logon scripts. This is ok accept we have a ton and different people need different ones for the sole reason that they get one more drive mapping. Does anyone know where I can get something better than this? Anyone know the commands to say if someone is a member of this domain group then give them this? or is this beyond the scope of batch files. Any help will be appreciated.

Anyone know the commands to say if someone is a member of this domain group then give them this? or is this beyond the scope of batch files. [/QUOTE]

Organized groups will help this out a bit. You can easily setup batch files that map drives per group rather than a single person. Read up on active directory. Just my 2cents.

Of course the obvious and painful answer is vbscript in many cases.

A secondary option is to find dicreet executables for each function you want to perform. That works sometimes, but also can really slow the logon process down as exe's are read on the fly from the logon server.

http://www.kixtart.org/ the Kixtart product is probably what you really want. It's a straightforward logon script environment that extends Windows logon scripts with most of the functions you might imagine. It's free and pretty easy to get up and running.

BTW - I've been running the Kixtart product at an S&P 500 company for about 7 years now, and every user across 300 North America locations runs a Kixtart script every time they logon. No problems yet (except when a junior admin edits a script and rolls it into production without testing it.) We've been contemplating the jump to VBScript because we use it extensively elswhere but haven't really made the case for that yet.

Thanks for the pointer, but i need a little bit better info. I have them in groups already, i just need to know what the commands themselves are to select by group. I know how to attach mapped drives and the like but what is the command?

example %USERNAME% Gives the username.

Are you on "AD" yet or not?

I would say go to a VBS script, that what were useing at work. I can mail you a copy of it if you want to take look at it....

wait, are you saying you currently use a seprate script for each User???

This is from a Vbs script...im not sure if it applys to a batch scripty also...

If INGroup ("RED_IT_G") Then
MapDrive "X:", "\\REDS2001\IT", 0
End If

yeah bro we use AD on WIN2K Server. Each user doesnt have a script but there are other ones called for certain users like those that use Peachtree or our EDI system. I'll have to try the vb method. Can u email me that script? zipped of course otherwise itll get scrubbed.

daceto AT alloc.com

Copy and paste what is above into notepad and save as .vbs with All files as the file type, unless your thinking there is more to than what he posted.

That script fragment isn't meant to be standalone. It needs a bit of preamble to setup right.

Jump on MSDN and search for Windows Scripting Host. It's much better than using straight vbscript, you can still use vbscript to write you code, but it'll run under the WSH shell, which provides some very cool features. Like importing another script file and using any functions listed in it. In order to do what you want you'll have to get away from command scripting, it's archaic and obsolete, besides it's very hard to maintain. Microsoft has alot of info on WSH, which should get you started. Look over there technical articles and any examples they might have. WMI is another technology that can be used in WSH scripts, and then of course there is a huge repository on Microsoft's Technet site, Script Center. If you have any specific questions about any of the above technologies, just post them here.

arken420 said:
Jump on MSDN and search for Windows Scripting Host. It's much better than using straight vbscript, you can still use vbscript to write you code, but it'll run under the WSH shell, which provides some very cool features. Like importing another script file and using any functions listed in it. In order to do what you want you'll have to get away from command scripting, it's archaic and obsolete, besides it's very hard to maintain. Microsoft has alot of info on WSH, which should get you started. Look over there technical articles and any examples they might have. WMI is another technology that can be used in WSH scripts, and then of course there is a huge repository on Microsoft's Technet site, Script Center. If you have any specific questions about any of the above technologies, just post them here.

great info... ill be looking into that as well...

take a look into kixtart.org, I have used this for quite some time now. I also wanted to get away from the standard .bat files as well and I am not into VB scripting as yet. The kixtart runs as a service after install and then just a simple bat file which calls the kixtart script (which can be edited in notepad). If you have AD installed this might be another avenue to look into. I am running this within a windows 2000 server environment with AD installed and running.

biz

bizh0p said:
take a look into kixtart.org, I have used this for quite some time now. I also wanted to get away from the standard .bat files as well and I am not into VB scripting as yet. The kixtart runs as a service after install and then just a simple bat file which calls the kixtart script (which can be edited in notepad). If you have AD installed this might be another avenue to look into. I am running this within a windows 2000 server environment with AD installed and running.

biz

i wonder if the name is a play on the old Kix32.exe.... HEHE

ThreePts said:
Anyone know the commands to say if someone is a member of this domain group then give them this? or is this beyond the scope of batch files.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/new/ifmember-o.asp

We stopped using kixstart several years ago.

VBScript or JScript controlling WSH, WMI, & ADSI etc. gives you complete control of your network; from Active Directory, Exchange Servers, to what network drives your users are mapped to... etc etc.. plus VBscript is eazy to learn!

Back