Login screen everytime I start Windows xp. how to get rid of it?

impronto

Limp Gawd
I only have 1 account on xp but just recently, everytime I boot up now before windows, the login screen comes up with username and password, and I just press enter it goes into windows fine. how do I get rid of this login screen? i tried control panel/user accounts, cant find anything. Thanks

Did you install something recently ?

I know that some software create some new accounts and this bring you this window.

Some .Net 2.0 update from Windows Update turns that on. I used the autoadminlogon registry key to get rid of it. Google that term and you will find sites with specific instructions.

One of the .Net updates creates a local user named ASP.net, which is why you are prompted with the welcome screen now. It sounds like you don't have a password set on that account, which I highly recommend doing.

TweakUI will let you specific which account (even password protected) that will autologon.

TweakUI I believe can also remove that screen if you have no password, either way I think it will do what your looking for.

I tried the tweakUI thing, and i click the box that says "log on automatically at system startup". basically bypassing the login screen automatically. but when I do this, it will only work for one start up of windows. after that, the screen pops up again after another start up. why does it do this? thanks

In TweakUI, you have to put in your username to log on with and also the password, click "OK' and then click "apply" in the TweakUI box.

If that still doesn't work, you can to user "control userpasswords2" that someone already used or use the registry hack - google it.

There are several ways, but TweakUI works fine for me.

just do what i said... uncheck the "users must enter a user name and password to use this computer." it will ask for username and password... its one time thing.... and its thourgh windows and not a 3rd party program so its legit etc...

Imaulle said:
start -> run -> "control userpasswords2"

And that created a SECOND admin account for me and kicked me to a user account selection screen instead of the password screen.

ryan_975 said:
but not supported by them.
What support would you need for TweakUI? Overclocking is unsupported, but I don't see that deterring anyone.

djnes said:
What support would you need for TweakUI? Overclocking is unsupported, but I don't see that deterring anyone.

nevermind, no one seemed to understand my point, and I'm too damned tired to even remember what my point was. Hell I had to think back and remember if I'd even typed that. (yes I know it says my name up there, I just was like "wth, I don't remember posting that.") Anyhow, he's got three viable options, his choice.

Back