login prompt when accessing a computer on the network

metal

n00b
I've seen this so many times, but only when I don't want it there: how do I make a login as: prompt come up when other people on the network try to access my computer, rather than just automatically letting them in? Alternately, how do i require authentication only for certain shared folders...instead of the whole computer? i have simple sharing turned off so I have full sharing and security options, but I still can't figure it out...any help is greatly appreciated!

(I'm tring to do this on my WinXP Pro)

To get the login prompt, disable your guest account. You could leave the guest account on, and set permissions to specifically not allow the guest account on some folders if you wanted to force special protection, but that might just say access denied instead of giving a prompt.

Thanks for replying so fast...
Problem: I already have my guest account disabled...
I've also tried removing Everyone access and only allowing myself or Administrator or various other users or groups access to certain shared folders such as SharedDocs...basically every time i changed permissions it either let the other person in automatically (when Everyone or a similar group was enabled) or gave them an error saying access is denied (when a specific user was enabled)

where are you testing this from?

Thats really the only thing I can think to ask you right now, just in case this is some mistake.

I did most of the testing on my brother's WinXP Pro. but I've also tried it from my Win2k AS...I would like it to work no matter what the client is, if at all possible

a'ight, I finally found out how to do this, it's really weird in Windows XP and I had traversed the Local Security Policy many times before I figured this out. I guess the guest account has two levels of disabled in Windows XP, it can be disabled in Control Panel > User Accounts and still be enabled in Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy. If you disable the Guest account in both places it will finally require a login name and password when trying to view shared folders in Explorer. I hope this is useful for others as well.

Back