• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Logical Video card upgrade?

Casper312

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 29, 2008
Messages
1,762
Well I haven't really looked that well into Ati's 5000 series but I am wondering what you guys would think a worthwhile upgrade would be from my 9800GTX (65nm). I run the card 825/2026/1225 24/7 (Temperatures never go above 65C with fan speed @ 100%).

What would be a worthy upgrade? I am on 1680X1050 on a 24. My other specs are basically either a E5200 @ 4.1Ghz or Q9550 @ 4.2Ghz, Gigabyte UD3R, 4GB DDR2 960 5-5-5-15, OCZ StealthXStream 600W. I am currently on the E5200 since the Q9550 is being used by a friend.


So what card would be the right upgrade for some decent gains and give some headroom? I was thinking of the 5770 but judging from reviews its performance is close to a 4850/4870? I am wondering since my friend has a 4870 clocked decently and benchmark/game wise my card performs a bit better benchmark/game wise. I am currently reading [H] review on the card being put against a GTS 250 and its performance seems a bit under what I would like. So I am guessing the next logical upgrade would be the 5850? I also understand waiting might pay off for nvidia which is what I am currently doing as well but any advice on Ati current cards would be nice.

Anyone on here upgrade from a 9800GTX to a 5770? What is you're verdict?

Thanks for any advice/information.
 
You'd certainly see an improvement, but I'd go with the 5850. Oh, and your friend should have the e5200 and you the Q9550.
 
save your money

You would see improvements but they would not be great.

Wait till the next generation (likely 2011)
 
save your money

You would see improvements but they would not be great.

Wait till the next generation (likely 2011)

Are you kidding? There are plenty of cards available right now that will walk all over a 9800GTX by a HUGE margin.
 
I went from the GTS 250 (identical to the 9800GTX+) to the HD 5770 as well as an HD 5850. The HD 5850 was way overkill for me so I'm figuring out what to do with it, but it will definitely give you the biggest boost. The HD 5770 does offer a nice performance increase.. I'm getting about 16% better performance on average at my clocks using the 9.12 hotfix drivers (I used the latest drivers for the GTS 250). The HD 5850 definitely murders the GTS 250 and is even more of a performance upgrade. My HD 5770 will hit 1000MHz on the core and 1350MHz on the memory easily at a GPU vCore of 1.25v.. something to think about if you're comfortable with overclocking. The performance increase is noticeable, especially with the mins.

What kind of games are you upgrading for? The 9800GTX should be doing you fine with most games at that resolution. I think the 5770 is more than enough for 1680*1050 and I'd only buy the 5850 for 1920*1080+ or Eyefinity.

In summary I would go with the 5770 at that res, but not given your current card.. the 5850 would offer you more bang (at a higher price) but is overkill at your res.
 
Does XFX have a similar step up program to Evga/BFG? I have dealt with them before and nothing bad to say here for rmas. I might get the 5770 and if it not enough for me I have a friend that will buy it off me and I will just get the 5850.

One question I have is which 5770 to get? I see a few versions online, meaning the stock cooling vs aftermarket looking cooler.
 
Get some headroom. Get a 5850 and be done with it. And get your Q9550 back!
 
Another vote for the 5850, for the resolution you use this card is more than enough power, and it gives you DX11 as well, so it's a good purcahse to future proof your PC without going too overboard on price.

It could be worth waiting until Fermi is released however, right now I would avoid upgrades simply due to the inflated prices which are due the lack of stock, by the time stock is plentiful and prices drop the Fermi will be just around the corner and could offer some better choices, and coming with that probably another price drop for the 5xxx range to compete.
 
Back
Top