Logging onto computer within the same workgroup.?

I don't know why I can't get this to work....

I have two computer.. ( i have more but to make this simple)

My laptop, eviltakitus
My deskop: lianli2

The both belong to hte workgroup: mshome

When I am on my laptop and click on my network places I can see the desktop lianli2.

When I double click on it, the prompt window comes up with /lianli2GUEST and prompts me for a password.

I don't even have the guest accound enabled let alone have a password on it.

How do I click on the Lianli2 to be able to just log on? Would I have to share the whole C: partition?

I guess I don't know why this is harder than it seems.?

Shouldn't I at least be able to log onto the lianli2 and see the shared docs/pictures..etc?

Thanks for you help.

Also I can't chanage the username when I click on lianli2 as it's grayed out and says /lianli2GUEST.

Thanks,
-Nigel

Try sharing a folder on your desktop like My Pictures or something by right clicking on it and going to the share settings.

Turn off Simple File Sharing.

Open Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View, Enable Simple File Sharing. Uncheck that.

also somewhere in group policy is allow anonymous access if you want

but really create the usernames you are using on both computers and mirror them (same name and password) on both machines

How do I click on the Lianli2 to be able to just log on? Would I have to share the whole C: partition?

You never..ever..want to share the entire partition that the OS is installed on. Not only for risk of malware that can spread from one computer to another using shares...but to also avoid screwing up "permissions" on program files..and most importantly..system files.

Add users to the machine that is doing the sharing..that matches the exact user/pass that you use on the other machine. Include "local users" in the security permissions of the share. The "share" level permissions should be for everyone.

If you are mixing up XP Homeless with XP Pro..sometimes you have to fight it a few times...due to many diff reasons..they don't always get along well.

Back