Logging on to your PC anywhere on the network

Trigun500

Limp Gawd
At my college, I've seen students log on to a PC in the comupter lab, only to have really logged onto their PC in their dorm through the PC in the lab. To log onto a campus PC you just do the Shift-alt-delete and log on. How do you go about doing this? I've seen it before but not recently for me to ask them. Any help would be great.
Thanks

VNC is cool, but RDP is better (IMO).

Remote Desktop (RDP) is built into Windows XP Pro and the client is built into every copy of Windows XP, home or Pro. So if you have Pro on your home computer, all you need to do is enable it and open the port on whatever firewall(s) you have going on there. Then you just run "mstsc" from the lab computer (or do start -> programs -> accessories -> communications -> remote desktop), type in your own computer's IP address, and log right in.

logmein..doesn't care about firewalls
gotomypc...doesn't care about firewalls
remote desktop (firewall can hamper though if you don't have access to it)...like VNC..I doubt this is what they're doing, I'd wager that they can't get to their dorm network from a lab. VLAN'd or something.

Not to hijack the thread, because I think this is relevent, but if all the ports except 80 and 443 were blocked, is there any chance of connecting to your computer?

Not to hijack the thread, because I think this is relevent, but if all the ports except 80 and 443 were blocked, is there any chance of connecting to your computer?
Run VNC or RDP on port 80.

Would it still work? Because I thought it was already being "used up" by the internet. Also,VNC needs two ports to be open right?

Would it still work? Because I thought it was already being "used up" by the internet. Also,VNC needs two ports to be open right?
It would still work, yes. Most web servers are listening on port 80, but you're not connecting to a web server over http. You are connecting to your own PC, which has RDP, instead of a web server like apache or IIS, listening on port 80.

There's nothing special about port numbers. When you type hardocp.com, your browser looks up the IP address for that domain name, then connects to it via the http protocol on a default port of 80. If they wanted, they could have their web server listening on port 3241, and you'd have to type hardocp.com:3241 in your browser to tell it to establish a connection over that port.

If your PC has the RDP server listening on port 80, then an RDP request on port 80 will work fine. I personally use port 8080 for my home PC's RDP server.

I think you're right about VNC requiring two ports.. but that shouldn't be a problem. I don't see a problem with those two ports being 80 and 443.

ok, so what is the difference between xp pro and xp home that allows RDP server to be run on pro and not home? would it be possible to install just the files needed to get an RDP server to work on xp home, (or vista home for that matter)

i know the os is basicly the same, so its gotta be just an exe dll cfg and servise (ect)away from being able to do this

ok, so what is the difference between xp pro and xp home that allows RDP server to be run on pro and not home? would it be possible to install just the files needed to get an RDP server to work on xp home, (or vista home for that matter)

i know the os is basicly the same, so its gotta be just an exe dll cfg and servise (ect)away from being able to do this

XP Home does not have the Remote Desktop server. It only has the Remote Desktop client.

There are a number of services that enable this, such as user authentication and terminal services. You can't simply install these onto XP Home. As far as I know, there is no hack available to do so. You'd need to do some pretty extensive reworking to the basic security model, replacing lots of system DLLs, installing and replacing several services, etc. You can't simply "enable" it because you need to get rid of a pretty significant portion of the running system. You'd probably even need to replace the Windows kernel.You'd literally need to convert a Home installation to a Pro installation.

If your desktop has XP or Vista Home, then you should use VNC.

Back