Log on w/ personal desktop

Carp

Limp Gawd
Hey there! I am setting up a network for a company. They want to be able to log into their account from any computer in the offices. I'm not sure what it's called, but I think its called Personal Profile. All the computers run Windows 2000 Professional and I can put anything on the server (Win, Linux, BSD, etc...)

With a win2k or 2k3 server you can do roaming profiles. This will work for their data, but you need to ensure the programs are installed to the desktops they log on to or create server based images that install on the workstation.

All I really want to do is have the computers act like dummy terminals, but have their own applications, etc...

yeah, we have roaming profiles at school so we can log on to any computer in the building and then access our documents.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my post........

Roaming profiles only work for the users *profile* , not applications. You'll need to ensure either the required applications that they will use are *already* installed on *every* workstation OR setup server based images of the applications that install automatically no matter which workstation the user logs in to.

Personally, if you want a "dumb terminal" you would be better off checking out terminal services in application mode.......

Ok, what OS would be best for a server? I have Win 2k Pro, Win2k AS (It doesnt like to detect network vary well), Win XP Pro, Debian, Redhat, FreeBSB, Knoppix, Turbo Linux Lite (Server edition) and SmoothWall.

Be careful with roaming profiles they look good on paper but can very quickly eat up tons of bandwith and server storage space. I say skip the roaming profiles and just teach the users to find what apps they need.

Also I don't know about your network layout but I have yet to see a place where users switch there desktops on a regular basis.

This is what you should do:

1. Install Windows 2000/2003 Server
2. Install Active Directory.
3. Configure roaming profiles for your users by defining a network path for the profile, and configuring appropriate permissions.
4. Configure "Redirected Folders" (in the GPO) for your users to redirect their "My Documents" "Application Data" and "Desktop" FROM their user profile to a network path. Unlike roaming profiles (which are copied from the server to the workstation during logon - then back again at log off), redirected folders work directly on the network share. Nothing is copied back and forwards, accessed files are opened directly from the server - you save a lot of hassle and a good deal of bandwidth.
5. Determine which software should be mandatory on all workstations. Assign such software to your domain computers via GPO.
6. Assign the rest of the software to users via GPO. - if the software is not available on the PC when the user logs on, it will be automatically installed when the users runs the software.

I recomend using DFS for storing software packages, profiles and redirected folders if you've got more then one network location. That way you can take advantage of replication, and clients will (by default) always try to access the closest server hosting the replica first.

You should probably log on to www.microsoft.com and read up on folder/share permissions requiered to host roaming profiles, and redirected folders.

Back