Log on to vSphere client with non-domain computer?

Danith

2[H]4U
I'm guessing the answer is no but asking just in case. Is there a way to have the vsphere client use my computers credentials to log on, when said computers aren't in a domain?

no bueno, it can only do SSO with a properly configured identity source in the vcenter server, which is typically via LDAP or AD.

You MAY be able to hack it to work? I used to do this when a customer bought a computer with Home edition vs Pro on it. If you changed the workgroup name to match the domain, and the username and password locally matched an AD username/password, you could get CIFS shares to work.

So, you could try to do basically the same. Match the WORKGROUP to the domain, the local u/n & p/w to match an AD username and password, and maybe even match the computer name to an AD computer name and give it a shot.

Otherwise, as jad0083 said, it's a no.

You can always put in the domain credentials directly:
eg: [email protected], or mydomain\lopoetve

As for using local system credentials - no, unless your local system is where the SSO auth source is.

Unless this is something new in 6.0 mine on 5.5.. Login as root user my pc is not on domain no issues...

Or I am misunderstanding something..

Even with SSO there is a local user database that you can use. By default the user is [email protected] I've never tried to add users but I can't imagine it's all the difficult to figure out.

You can either add an account to the vSphere web client and use <user>@vsphere.local or add an account to the domain and use <domain>\<user>.

There is no need for the computer you are running the client from to be domain joined - all you need is the proper credentials as configured either for your host (typically 'root') or vSphere SSO. In the case of vSphere, you can use the SSO domain (default is vsphere.local on 5.5) or whatever other identity source you have SSO looking at to authenticate.

There is no reason to do this. Either connect it to a domain, login with [email protected], or make your own account in the built-in vsphere.local LDAP domain (via web console).

Back