Lockups w/ 9600XT

jaboo

Weaksauce
This weekend, I got the ATI 9600XT and wrote that it was stable. well, after game some serious game play, it started freezing up. And, I have not OC's it yet. I upped the voltage to 1.7 V, and it helped a little. But, it started to lock again :mad:

Then, I diabled AGP 8X and gonna try that. But, I wanted to see if anyone else has any suggestions. I play mostly Nova's Blackhawk Down and UNreal 2003.

Running 2800 XP
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
1 GB 3200 RAM

Visually, it blows away the GF4 Ti 4200 I had. And, I can use AA now on all the games. But, these freakin lockups bother me.

Thanks for your [H]elp!

How much AA? You might have to turn it down a little.

NOTE: Always, always, check heat levels for a first culprit when discovering gaming crashes...

Yeah, turned of all AA. And, I tought it was heat too.. But, CPu temps 41 C on full load. Case temps are low too.

No,

But I was seriously thinking about doing a Format of HD and do a fresh install of XP Only thing is is that it is a takes so much time to laod all the programs I have, lol. And, Everything is up to date with chipset, and hardware driver updates.

if your lockups are defined as "blue screens without text and the music cycling", i have the same problem too.

try these, i've tried it ALL and none of them worked.

Turned off VPU recover in the ATi control panel. Crashing persists.
- Turned off fast write in the ATi control panel. Crashing persists.
- Reduced Anti-alaising to 2x. Crashing persists.
- Reduced the hardware acceleration down two notches. Crashing persists.
- Reinstalled the newest ATi driver. Crashing persists.
- Removed one side of the computer case to increase cooling. Crashing persists,
but it takes a few minutes longer
- Increased AGP Aperture size to 128 (from 64). Crashing persists.
- Increased AGP Aperture size to 256. Crashing persists. Returned to 128Mb.
- Installed latest motherboard driver. Crashing persists.
- Installed two fans both blowing in air. Crashing persists.

What motherboards do you guys have? Theres been some issues with 9600 line and VIA and SiS chipsets - The best solution is turn down the AGPx (On my KX7-333r, 4x max, have to run it at 2x) and if the problem persists then clock your system down (Mine is 100% stable at 180fsb, with a gf3, I have to clock it down to 133fsb for the 9600 to be stable)

The only real solution I've seen is get a new mobo :mad: (My NF7-S Should be here today :D)

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/8596/?o=0 is the thread I've been reading for the past week on it - 1200 posts takes a long time to go through :eek:

H8 @ Via 4evar!

Hi All,

Thanks for all of your replies. Finally broke down and called ATI tech support. Acutally, the guy I talked to new what the heck he was talking about. Explained, problem to him and the solutions I tried. This is what he had me do:

1) reset AGP voltage back to 1.5 V
2) In the ATI control panel, I set it to 4X AGP and left in the bios 8x AGP enabled (ASUS A7N8X Deluxe mobo.)

Ran 3dmark2001SE 3 times under default (1024x768) and 3 times with 1280x1024 w/ AA2x. Woohooo! No lockups! And, the default score were statistically the same as when it would run 8x AGP on the ATI contraol panel. ATI tech support guy said that the ATI control panel actually wasn't originally intended for 8x (that is why you still see 1x, 2x.) And, that it wasn't as accurate as enabling in mobo, which I did. Been playing DF Blackhawkdown for 1 hour and no lockups.

what happens if you can't set the AGP voltage or the BIOS AGP through the BIOS?

balanced settings with vpu recover off usually solve a lot of these problems. Also, play around with different catalyst versions

Back