Lockup in BF2

Vlad335

Gawd
One of my clan mates asked me about a problem he is having in BF2. I am stumped...

Seems that when he gets into a game of BF2 he freezes into a multiclolored screen after a minute or two. He tells me he can hit escape and it takes him back to the game menu. His video card is an ATI 850XT which he bought a week ago. Tells me his 9800pro ran the game fine on 800/600 medium settings. Whats really weird is he can run Battlefield Vietnam and other games completely fine. He is not overclocking. I have seen the type of multicolored screen he describes but that was when I was overclocking my video too far.

His CPU is a P4 2.8 and he has one gig of ram. He initally installed the drivers from the CD that came with the card. (Cat5.6's) I had him download the 5.6's and remove his drivers with drivercleaner. Didn't help.

BTW. He tells me his CPU temp in the bios is 140f. This seems pretty hot to me not under load.(64c) But I am an AMD man myself.

What has me stumped is he can run other games fine. His settings in bF2 are also set pretty low for this card. 800/600 and medium. Any ideas?

I had the same exact problem, I changed my desktop reso to a lower one and it worked fine. Took me awhile to figure out that was the problem, but it worked. I hope its something that simple for your friend.

dan

Jerunk said:
Power supply? Drivers?

Yup - i suspect maybe that card might run better with a differernt driver, but heat?....sounds like PSU possibly if not OC'ed. Check voltages..

Back