Locking Windows with a desktop shortcut?

-=X=-Factor

Weaksauce
I want to make either a batch file or a shortcut for a coworker that, once she clicks on it, it will both lock her computer(same thing as pressing the windows key + L) and put up a screensaver. I’ve got the screensaver shortcut on her desktop and bound a hotkey, but I haven’t figured out how to “express” the windows key for either a batch file or at the end of the target string in the shortcut’s properties.

How would I go about adding those keystrokes to lock the computer into a command line?

Any help is appreciated.

you could change the settings of the screensaver to ask for password upon return.
that would essentially lock the desktop until the pasword is entered.
i think theres an option on the screensaver page.

The windows key + L is already down to two motions...which is the same as double clicking a script. As a corporate IT worker, nothing irritates me more than people who are this lazy. Maybe I'm just jaded, but if someone has a problem pushing two keys, there isn't much anyone can do to pacify them.

djnes said:
The windows key + L is already down to two motions...which is the same as double clicking a script. As a corporate IT worker, nothing irritates me more than people who are this lazy. Maybe I'm just jaded, but if someone has a problem pushing two keys, there isn't much anyone can do to pacify them.
Double click takes pressing two buttons as well. ;)

I just use ctrl-alt-del, space bar. More keys, but it's a muscle memory thing. I also have an IBM laptop, no window keys! ;)

andy - Per our security policy, the screensaver tab is disabled in the display properties window. The only way to get to those settings is through the registry and I dont wanna get in trouble by the security dept. because her software build is "nonstandard".

djnes - Normally, I would feel the same way, but I'm in between projects at the moment and figured I'd try to see if this could be done to keep myself busy AND "productive".

Code:
 rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation

put this in a shortcut and you are set :)

From google, create a batch file

@echo off
rundll32.exe user32.dll, LockWorkStation
cls

Note to self: at the command line prompt, down't just type logoff, or 'shutdown -l'

Ya know, i am constantly telling people to "google it" whenever they have an obscure question. I never thought I'd forget my own advice.

thx guys!

djnes said:

its not always laziness.
i use such batch files for restart or shut off since i work with remote desktop sometimes. since the stnadard ctrl alt delete and such dont work over remote desktop, making batch files to do my bidding is the way to go.

andypnb said:
its not always laziness.
i use such batch files for restart or shut off since i work with remote desktop sometimes. since the stnadard ctrl alt delete and such dont work over remote desktop, making batch files to do my bidding is the way to go.
I thought RDP locked the workstation automatically when you "disconnect" without logging off?

sorry for the OT.

drizzt81 said:
I thought RDP locked the workstation automatically when you "disconnect" without logging off?

sorry for the OT.

you are correct.

however, if i need a reboot remotely, then a shortcut of some sort is needed. as far as i know anyways.
all that aside, im happy the OP has found a solution.

andypnb said:
you are correct.

however, if i need a reboot remotely, then a shortcut of some sort is needed. as far as i know anyways.

If you open the task manager while in a RDP session, you can do a reboot/shut down from there. A desktop shortcut will be faster though.

andypnb said:
you are correct.

You can also just use the start menu as normal. That's the point of RDP...to bring the entire desktop to you, remotely. I manage several servers this way, and I don't need any special shortcuts or batch files to reboot.

djnes said:
You can also just use the start menu as normal. That's the point of RDP...to bring the entire desktop to you, remotely. I manage several servers this way, and I don't need any special shortcuts or batch files to reboot.

I thought that in RDP the 'shut down' option was replaced by 'disconnect.' It's been a while since I last used RDP (VNC ftw!) but I always had to do the task manager thing.

IanG said:
I thought that in RDP the 'shut down' option was replaced by 'disconnect.' It's been a while since I last used RDP (VNC ftw!) but I always had to do the task manager thing.

It's only replaced with disconnect in Windows XP. The Windows servers allow you to do a full shutdown like normal.

In Windows XP, use the command "shutdown -f -t 0" to shutdown the machine. Add "-r" to reboot. Put it in a shortcut or anything other method you prefer.

Ah, that's why I've always thought it could be shutdown normally...I've only used it to connect to 2000 and 2003 servers.

Back