Locking Wall Jack

da sponge

[H]ard|Gawd
I need a cover or something for a few of our standard wall plates so we can lock down the jacks. We have some desks wired up with phone/ethernet connections and they connect directly to the drops. Clients come in and remove the cables from the jacks and connect their own laptops, even though the plates are labeled DO NOT TOUCH. Does anyone know of a cover that would prevent access to the jacks? I want to plug the cables in, then cover it up so they can't remove them.

I need a cover or something for a few of our standard wall plates so we can lock down the jacks. We have some desks wired up with phone/ethernet connections and they connect directly to the drops. Clients come in and remove the cables from the jacks and connect their own laptops, even though the plates are labeled DO NOT TOUCH. Does anyone know of a cover that would prevent access to the jacks? I want to plug the cables in, then cover it up so they can't remove them.

i know they have them, i have seen them in some retail stores...

easier method, talk to it directory, start warnings/terminations for that type of stuff... no telling what kind of nastyness personal laptops can bring inside the network.

i know they have them, i have seen them in some retail stores...

easier method, talk to it directory, start warnings/terminations for that type of stuff... no telling what kind of nastyness personal laptops can bring inside the network.

It's not a policy issue. These are clients that come in once or twice a year. We don't have problems with employees. Can't terminate/really warn a client.

If physically locked hot jacks doesn't stop them then your only choice would be this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Access_Control

It's not a NAC issue either, it's a physical cabling issue. Client A comes in during week 1 and pulls cables from wall jacks to plug in his laptop. Client B comes in week 3 and tries to connect to the clearly labeled ports on the desks and gets no link. Most of the ports are connected to the network outside of our firewall anyway.

You may want to try what is called an "in use" weatherproof cover designed for outdoor outlets, so water won't drip onto the outlet or cord plugged into it.

It's kind of like a bubble, and I am pretty sure that most of them come with a latch that has a hole for a small padlock.

Look at a proper network access control or just kill the ports on your switches.

Look at a proper network access control or just kill the ports on your switches.

Why would I do this? I want to give the clients access to the internet when they're in that room. I want them to use the ports built into the desks, which are in turn wired to the wall jacks. I just want them to not be able to unplug the existing cables from the wall jacks because this disconnects the desk ports and confuses people who later try to connect through the desk ports. Either way they're connecting (or attempting to connect) to the outside LAN, so proper network access control/killing the ports on my switches accomplishes nothing useful towards my goal.

edit: this looks promising - http://www.rjlockdown.com/

Assuming you are using something like keystone jacks, why not remove the jack from the faceplate, plug the patch cable in inside the box, and run it out the hole in the faceplate? Should keep fingers away well enough.

OR... Metal wallplates and electric fence transformer.

Assuming you are using something like keystone jacks, why not remove the jack from the faceplate, plug the patch cable in inside the box, and run it out the hole in the faceplate? Should keep fingers away well enough.

OR... Metal wallplates and electric fence transformer.

They're not just keystones, its a standard sized wallplate, but there's room for 3 rectangular slots (full width, 1/3 height). Currently 1 phone rectangle on top, 1 2x RJ45, 1 blank. if i took the rj45 out and left it danging behind the wall, there'd be a hole that the clients would still probably mess with and fish the cables out.

Electric fence would be great! Not sure about the interference on the line though.. :p

edit: this looks promising - http://www.rjlockdown.com/

I think that's your best bet if you want manufactured and cheap. I have looked in the past and havent found anything short of a lock box. The only thing I can suggest is to clip the end of the tab off. It makes it slightly more dificult if YOU need to change it out (screwdriver to flip the tab down), but it will be as effective as those locks at keeping joe user from doing it.

They're not just keystones, its a standard sized wallplate, but there's room for 3 rectangular slots (full width, 1/3 height). Currently 1 phone rectangle on top, 1 2x RJ45, 1 blank. if i took the rj45 out and left it danging behind the wall, there'd be a hole that the clients would still probably mess with and fish the cables out.

Electric fence would be great! Not sure about the interference on the line though.. :p

Assuming that this configuration is pretty static - how about some super glue on the plastic (clip) side of the ethernet cable. It'll keep it from pulling out of the wall, and it's cheap. A new jack is only $2 or so if you ever had to replace it - I doubt you'll find any locking solution cheaper than that.

I bought the lockdowns - they are pretty cheap - $2.50 a piece; worth it if they work :)

Assuming that this configuration is pretty static - how about some super glue on the plastic (clip) side of the ethernet cable. It'll keep it from pulling out of the wall, and it's cheap. A new jack is only $2 or so if you ever had to replace it - I doubt you'll find any locking solution cheaper than that.

That wouldn't have been a bad alternative if I hadn't found these.

http://www.rjlock.com/

Looks like there are a few options here. What took me by surprise is the RJ45 blocker, we could use quite a few of them here at work.

Or if your cheap:

Super_glue.jpg

:D

Back