Locking Down a Laptop

FrostBite

[H]ard|Gawd
I run a part time Accounting consulting business on the side, and one of my clients has requested 4 laptops and to "lock them down" so they can only run Microsoft Access and Excel. These laptops are meant for education and training purposes only, will not be connected to the internet, and will be locked in a cabinet on my clients property while not in use. The company will use thumb drives if they want to bring their Excel spreadsheets as training exapmples. While I am not an IT guy (I'm an accountant), I did do some searching on these forums and it looks like I need to do this:
- Create an administrator profile giving me everything for the General Manager and myself only
- Create a user profile restricting the use of pretty much everything for everyone else to use
- Uninstall almost everything that isn't Microsoft Office (bloatware, built in camera drivers, etc...)
- Disable LAN and wireless so they can't get on the internet
- Disable all Updates features**
- Install Microsoft Steady State so anything they install will be removed after they reboot
- Install Microsoft Security Essentials in case a thumb drive has a virus
- ** Updates (Windows, MSE, etc...) monthly when I take the laptops home to check for physical damage, defrag, any additionas/changes the client request
- I was kicking around the idea of using TrueCrypt to encrypt the hard drive in case it got stolen, but no company information should be stored on this as it will only be for education and trianing only.

What do ya'll think? Am I missing anything? The only thing I am unsure of is if someone under a user profile can enable LAN and wireless to get on the internet or will I be able to restrict that?

Oh shoot, a lot of the laptops I am looking at (cheap, no frilles) are all Windows 7 and SteadyState is not supported (can be installed, not supported). Anyone know if Windows 7 has an innate ability like SteadyState or if there is a similair program to this?

Back