Locking Down a HTPC

MrMitch

Spinning Drives Rule!
Alright all, I have a HTPC that i've really been enjoying. I also have a sister-in-law that likes to do things on PC's that I don't approve.

Locking her out of my desktop was easy, but now i've noticed bigfish games installed on the HTPC so it needs locked down.

How do i lock it into windows media center, and make it impossible for her to use anything other than that, while still being able to do stuff to it myself like patch, upgrade and the like.

I know i can lock into media only mode, but all you have to do it disable that. I'd like to have it boot, load MCE automatically, and be unable to close that app without some sort of password or something.

ideas?

err, just have a remote.... no keyboard or mouse.... and dont hookup the USB ports on the front?

then put it into media mode..

with the MCE remote you cannot do anything but use MCE. Then set router controls for keyword filtering and setup netnanny or such on the HTPC.

thats what you are meaning right?

that looks like a godsend for throwin parties.... great app if it works!

now if only there was a "playist lock" that kept "that guy" from playing "this song you guys will all like"

heh... i think AlbumPlayer can lock in playlists, if youre just looking to do music i would seriously consider that app. win7mc does it all though, if someone changes the music then just throw a keg at their head.

Wait. Do you have a keyboard and mouse hooked up to your HTPC? I don't see how she can do things to it if it only has a remote for input. You want to keep her off it, remove the keyboard then. Don't let her think and treat it like a PC if it's not suppose to be one.

Well damn, if i got Adidas's approval for that link, im stoked, hes got an epic Home Theater, its like a mob boss kissing your hand.

Back