Locked registry keys are created (Win 7 x64)

Quantum

Limp Gawd
I have a problem with programs creating locked registry keys. Actually the keys don't have any permissions set so I have to manually go in and add user permissions and owners. I have scanned for viruses with MSE, MBAM, and various rootkit scanners which all turned out negative.
The only thing I can relate to these keys being created is that I used the "Windows Install Clean Up" tool on the programs I'm now having problem with (Skype, Office 2010). I can't install/uninstall or update these programs without every time going through the registry and manually setting permissions for the keys.

Any suggestions?

PS. I have no system restore points to fall back to.

Last edited:
Yes UAC is set to always notify (highest) but I've always kept it turned off until very recently. I only turned it on after the locked reg keys started appearing. I haven't set any group policies.

Last edited:
Thanks! While SubInACL in the link you posted didn't work since it's not compatible with Win 7 64-bit, it made it possible to do some more research on the subject which lead me to SetACL Studio. I was able to successfully reset owners and then permissions with this tool.

Nice find. I'm glad it worked. :)

Back