locked barton 2500+ refuses to go 2.0ghz

I'm stump. :(

it's a locked athlon xp barton 2500+.

I upped the voltage till an uncomfortable 1.75v and it maxed out at 1.9ghz. Help?

multiplier locked, so what else can I tweak?

I just want a nice round number, 2.0ghz. ;)

Is your RAM running at the same bus speed? If so, that could be a limiting factor. Try running your RAM at lower speeds, if your board will allow it. Those Barton CPU's are supposed to be excellent overclocking units.

finally got it to run 2.03ghz.

but with a huge load of voltage and a stubborn multiplier.

[email protected]. That's from a stock voltage of 1.65v.

1.81volt !!! arghhhh. Damn lemon. I've tried every multiplier setting, it'll only run stable with 11, anything above or below 11 is absolutely no go.

prime95 1 hour, no error yet, will let it run for 24hours.

I know barton core are great overclocker, loads of ppl got it to run at stock voltage with 11x200. That's athlon XP 3200+'s speed, even the locked ones. But mine is just too damn stubborn, I smell lemon.

what do you mean lower the RAM speed? I'm using DDR400 kingston ram at 1:1 ratio, are you suggesting that I run it at DDR333 speed?

but my mobo support DDR400, abit AN7.

I'm confused.

Btw, idle temp 41, load temp 51 (room temp 28c, tropical island, mhhh)

am I in the safe zone? or will I be expecting some Chernobyl style explosion? :D

what do you mean lower the RAM speed? I'm using DDR400 kingston ram at 1:1 ratio, are you suggesting that I run it at DDR333 speed?

but my mobo support DDR400, abit AN7.

Try it and see if it helps improve stability. Remember, there are some types of PC3200 RAM that just don't like to play nice when used in pairs, especially some of the older double sided DIMM's.

You won't notice any real performance differences between DDR333 and DDR400 anyways.

with athlon xp you will notice a performance hit ,its not like the athlon64s,better off to run ram and fsb in synch on xp chips

the stock voltage is 1.65v.

would it be uber disastrous if I up it to 1.9v? I mean as long as the temp is good, no harm right?

becoz I have a feeling that my lemon barton XP will only do 2.2ghz (11x200) on 1.9v. I've tried [email protected] ......... Sumout Error after 10 mins of prime95.

I'm currently doing [email protected], load temp is 51-52 <-- not too hot since room temp is 28-30c.

I've also noticed that whenever I up the voltage, the increase in temperature is VERY small, 1-2c. Using 1.65v, load temp is 49-50. Odd isnt it?

Should I go ahead with 1.9v?

(Barton core are extremely hard to find, so I'm a little bit scared, plus I dont have the cash for an upgrade. :D )

Is this a mobile 2500 or the desktop version?The mobile chips were the great overclockers. I've had mine running at 2.4ghz 24/7 for 3 1/2 yrs now. The only limiting factor is the mobo. The asus nf2 board is holding it back. I put it in a buddy's dfi board and it did 2.65 all day long. Iirc voltge is only 1.78v, but I'd have to check to be sure.

i have an asus a7n8x-dx v2.0 and i can run at 2.0 on stock voltages... also i have a locked processor, the board is keeping it unlocked. just got it up and running today actually, bad vid card :( issues.

i have an asus a7n8x-dx v2.0 and i can run at 2.0 on stock voltages... also i have a locked processor, the board is keeping it unlocked. just got it up and running today actually, bad vid card :( issues.

That's the mobo. But mine is v1. Can't get any more fsb out of the thing. Oh well it's just a folding box anymore.

my 2500+ on abit AN7, can only get about 185FSB stable at 1.7 I found jumping the NB voltage up a notch I was able to get 200FSB. Temps 46idle? can't remember the load.

i ran 1.9v to my barton close to 24/7@ 2.5GHz on water for a few months till i sold it =)

my 2500+ on abit AN7, can only get about 185FSB stable at 1.7 I found jumping the NB voltage up a notch I was able to get 200FSB. Temps 46idle? can't remember the load.

nice, you have the same setup as mine.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try upping the NB volt and see what happens.

2.2ghz here I come!!!

btw, what's the NB's max temp? Dont want to fry it.

How can you call it a lemon? AMD sold it to you and guaranteed it would run a certain clock speed, and it does. By no definition of the book does that make it a lemon. Now, your setup may be a poor overclocker, but that's not the same as a lemon.

A lemon is something that doesn't work as advertised, like a new car that breaks down 2 feet off the dealer lot.

my barton 2600 has been runnin @ ~2.25 for almost 3 years with voltage @ 1.75 on the cpu

11x205

ultra ddr400, 2x512 2-2-2-5 1T, ram @ 1.9v

a7n8x NB @ stock volts

idle 45-50C load 65-70C

i couldn't tell you what to do with an abit board, i read a bunch way back when and chose the board that most (read: some) people were using to OC the barton. plus, i like my heart to be touched ;)

i have friends who got their mobile bartons running much faster than i have mine running too on different varieties of nf2. it was so long ago... i'm sure there's still a bunch of previously written info on OCing the barton online; i'm positive that the CPU is not the wall.

good luck with the overclock, i wouldn't put more than 1.8v into that CPU tho. of course, that's just me and if you're juicin the cpu, you might as well give a little more to the NB too. :D

My mobile barton 2500+ is running at 2.0 volts. These chips love the voltage, don't worry about it as long as your cooling is good.

I seem to recall my 2500+ Barton not liking to run unless I went from 166MHz straight to 200MHz.

Have you tried setting your FSB at 200MHz and adjusting RAM timings so it's 200MHz also? Make sure the RAM CAS timings are set correctly for the RAM at that speed.

I seem to recall my 2500+ Barton not liking to run unless I went from 166MHz straight to 200MHz.

Have you tried setting your FSB at 200MHz and adjusting RAM timings so it's 200MHz also? Make sure the RAM CAS timings are set correctly for the RAM at that speed.

I put my ram timing on auto, it's suppose to increase according to my FSB right?

Or do I have to do it manually?

There was a REASON not to buy the locked chips. Ive built a bazillion 2500/2600+ MOBILE unlocked systems, highest FSB I got on the Asus was 235Mhz, the DFI Infinity/LP does 250Mhz, and my NF2 systems been running 250x10 2x512 UTT(CH5) 8,2,2,2.0 forever, at 1.75Vcore and 3.1Vdimm.

Given how cheap they are now, dump the locked, find a 2600+ mobile, then do the super easy Vdimm mod to the board to get you 3.1-3.2V on Vdimm and 2x512 of BH5 sticks.

Otherwise its a nice setup and a real workhorse, very dependable. Ive built 15+ systems, A7N8X/NF7/Infinity anf only one board, NF7 died, due to AGP port failure... all the rest are still working flawlessly.

Adjust your ram timings to 11-3-3-2, or 11-2-2-2. This alone helped me get over the 200mhz hump for my ram. Was able to get it up to 220-230fsb after loosening the ram timings.

Good Luck and let us know your results!

Back