Lockdown program

Luthair

Weaksauce
Hiya guys, Im going outta town and I dont want my roomates on the computer but they are quite tech friendly so the bios password will be easy to bypass. Any suggestions for a program that will lock out access to my computer?

Create a password for your user account, and Administrator. Problem solved - unless you're running something older than Win2000.

Create a password for your user account, and Administrator. Problem solved - unless you're running something older than Win2000.

If the roommates have physical access to the computer this is easily bypassed.

Physically lock the case after putting a BIOS password on (This may not be possible). You could also just rip out the hard drives and put them with someone you trust, or put them in a safety deposit box. :p

Or, you know, maybe you should talk to roommates and tell them to respect your property and not touch it? If they're in any way respectful they will. ;)

Whats the nature of the data being secured? Everything on your HDD, your private documents, your pr0n collection? You could use EFS (if available) or you could just throw everything in a RAR file and password lock it, those being the simple solutions.

The best suggestion so far would be to remove the HDDs, because they can be accessed by anyone who can boot your machine. If you want to leave them in, check out TrueCrypt ( http://truecrypt.org ) for an encrypted filesystem solution. This would make the disks impossible to read without a passkey.

Back