lock to a specific website domain?

i have a pc at my business. which will be used by my employees for a specific service. and it requires using the web for a particular site (log in and such and process info)

is it possible i can somehow like lock the pc so it only browses through that domain only.

so only www.yahoo.com and not some other willy nilly site which has no use of to my business.

thanks in advance

you could take out all DNS servers on the PC. Then make a custom HOSTS file that will allow the person to only resolve certian things like yahoo to an IP. However, if somebody knows the IP of another website, then they can enter an IP and bypass the restriction... If you have any interest in this method, let me know, and I will tell you how to do it...

NoID said:
you could take out all DNS servers on the PC. Then make a custom HOSTS file that will allow the person to only resolve certian things like yahoo to an IP. However, if somebody knows the IP of another website, then they can enter an IP and bypass the restriction... If you have any interest in this method, let me know, and I will tell you how to do it...

iam interested...my employees arent that smart to do the ip method. but iam.. help me out...

thanks

Ok, first if this computer's IP is setup by DHCP, you have to manually assign it a static IP address. I assume you know how to do this. Second, make sure that no DNS servers are listed in the network configuration for that machine. Remove any that are present. This prevents the computer from going to any websites. Third, go into the windows/system32/drivers/etc/ folder. There you will see a file called HOSTS. This file can be opened in notepad, so open it in notepad. We need to add lines after the first one (127.0.0.1 localhost).

TO get the IP of a site, ping its address.
ie. to get www.yahoo.com's website you would ping www.yahoo.com. It should return 68.142.226.50. So if you want to allow them to get to yahoo's website you would add:

68.142.226.50 www.yahoo.com

This is a very crude method of restricting websites. But it should work. However it probably take a little more administration than most people would want. Also, you would have to keep that HOSTS file updated. I am looking into finding a better way.

You mentioned that you only want to allow access to one domain. The method I listed might not be ideal if the domain's IP addresses change or the domain has a lot of configured IP addresses

just plaing www.yahoo.com would work

Try it out. Let me know how it goes. BUT: I think yahoo's images store on different servers than www.yahoo.com.. maybe also img.yahoo.com or something. Give it a go, see how it works. To un-do the change, just set the computer back to DHCP or re-add your DNS servers to network configuration page

Back