Location of Ghost network drivers?

kleptophobiac

Supreme [H]ardness
I want to make a multinic ghost boot cd. Is there some way I can access all of the drivers that come with ghost without making dozens of floppies and then copying the drivers off of them?

Considering at work anytime I need to create a bootdisk, I have to do it per whatever NIC being used, I doubt it. If someone does know some ancient magic to make this work I'd love it.

Believe me it would be nice, cause with Ghost Enterprise 8 it now takes up TWO floppy disks. Grr! Slow poke USB floppy drives don't help. :mad:

I have a CD with 9 drivers on it. I'm working on expanding it to more drivers that I use commonly... I'm using version 8.

I've been getting the ndis drivers by making floppies and copying the drivers off disks, but that is asstasticly slow.

csims said:
...cause with Ghost Enterprise 8 it now takes up TWO floppy disks. Grr!

Aye, I hear you there! -- At work we have nearly every model that dell makes from the Optiplex, Precision and Latitude lines - some of which share the same drivers, some with their own special variants. Because of this, I made a batch-based cd that can load all of those systems in 7.5 or 8.0, copy the executable and wattcp.cfg file into a ramdisk and allow you to change the IP for ghosting across subnets, etc.

The only downside is that it has its limitations in its current form -- for instance the xmsdisk.exe (freedos) ramdisk program I'm using cannot properly address 4GB of ram in a machine and thus you either have to put the system in an "OS Install Mode" (memory limited to 512 or 256MB) or physically remove a stick or two until it's below the 4GB maximum. Another limitation is that I'm not using alot of variables in my current implementation so it uses static drive letters in the batch, which has lead to some machines not copying the required ghost executable due to "c:\" not being the letter that the cdrom drive is assigned. (For instance, if a usb key is in a usb-bootable system it may be assigned c:\ instead of mscdex assigning it to the cd.)

Never the less this works great for our purposes on the following systems and adding your own would be pretty easy -- as long as you know batch files or can at least follow along. =)

Dell Optiplex GX260, 270, 280, 400
Dell Precision P530, P650 P670
Dell Latitude X300, D600, D800 and M60

If people are interested, I'll clean what I have up and see about sticking it somewhere on the web for people to get at, minus the licensed executables of course -- you'll need to provide those.

Just my two cents.. we have found a cool little program which runs from NetBSD and can be used to boot ANY nic . We have many different Dell's here as well and I have yet to find a NIC that this will not work from. Basically, we setup an FTP service and aim the program commands to this after post, requests a username and pass, which is assigned access to the FTP share. The upload does take awhile but the download is incredibly fast, not using any netbois/netbui, the only downside is that there is no compression utlitly this is using. I am also using Altiris which have many benefits over the "bsd" program. But like I said, just my two cents....
BTW,, the netbsd=free,, which is always good !!!!

Orinthical- I'd love to grab a copy of that also!

Marty

I use this, i can boot any machine on our network about 30 diffferent kinds, and map a drive to a server and reghost machines or setup new ones. Takes some doing to get it all working, but once you figure it out its easy to add new drivers and apps.

http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/

Back