Local Settings/Temp... delete files??

mdude85

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 8, 2001
Messages
435
Hey, do you think I'm safe if I delete all the files and folders in the Documents and folders in the Settings/Owner/Local Settings/Temp directory? I have already "looked" at everything and it just looks like a bunch of trash from my web browsing. Any experience?
 
note there is a distinction between the temp folder and the temporary internet files folder. theoretically, the idea is that the temp folder should have no problems if it is completely emptied at some point. some installers may leave some information in there however. i've nuked the temp folder on some pcs i've had to work on at work without problems to get rid of spyware. that's not to say with 100% certainty you won't have problems, but i personally have not
 
Agreed. Never really had an issue. But, as tim_m pointed out, if there are programs that run that draw info from that directory and the files aren't there, you may hit a snag. However, the temp directory is called that for a reason. Everything in there is supposed to be temporary and fully deleteable. As a quick note, I know that F@H stores working files in there but won't let you delete them as they are in use.

If you are really squeamish about it, move all the files to another location (say, desktop\temp) and see what happens. If nothing, delete away.

 
Back
Top