Local redirects via mozilla/ie7?

todlerix

2[H]4U
I want to redirect a specific web address, and what i mean by that is~

Scenario:

Person1 walks up to PC and types in www.hardforum.com
Computer would then point to c:\ToS.html and that would have a link to go to www.hardforum.com
Person2 would have to click "I agree continue to hardforum.com" link

And thats it~

Note: I do not have control of the domain that the person is visiting, so it needs to be done locally each time the site is visited. It doesnt need to be highly secure (meaning i don't need extreme meeasures to be taken to prevent the bypassing of this setup)

(i have also considered setting the home page to the c:\tos.html but i'd like to avoid that if possible)

You could use the hosts file to redirect the page to localhost. You'll just have to host the page locally.

Edit: I realized how vague my post was.

Your hosts file should be found in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\ or something similar, depending on operating system. There, you can make an entry to point, for example, www.hardforums.com to 127.0.0.1. Now, if you host your tos.html page on the localhost, that page will appear everytime. The problem you then have is that the user won't be able to hit that domain using DNS...

So, maybe my idea isn't the best out there. Some sort of proxy would probably be the best approach but it would be a pain to setup for just a few systems.

Something like Chillspot on a computer running as the DNS server. Chillspot it normally used as a wifi capture page, where the user would have to log in before access the net. I haven't used it, but it should provide what you need (Chillspot as DNS serving a doc on the chillspot machine up the first time a dns record is requested within a given time frame). Not sure if it can be self contained and used through seperate ports on the same machine though.

The other option is BIND, another DNS server.

And both are linux native. BIND might have a windows port.

Captive Portal

See m0n0wall (or pfsense)
zonecd
chilispot (mentioned above)
nocatauth if you want to roll your own.

Back