Local Network access problem

p0lish

Gawd
I have a Domain network with about 15 computers. Today one of the computers could not load his desktop/my documents which are shares on the server. I tried accessing the server though explorer IE \\servername, which would not work. I checked the network adapter, and netbios over TCP/IP is enabled as it should, and the "client for file sharing" is enabled as well. I can access the internet, and in a cmd prompt, i can ping the server via ping servername, and ping 192.168.1.X. The computer is running windows XP SP3, and was working fine until this morning. I have tried plugging in a wireless usb adapter, and that made no difference.

In the error logs, the only errors that are listing are the ones stating that it could not load the group policy because the network connection failed.

Any Ideas??

-Bill

edit: i also tried logging in with a different username/password and that did not fix the issue.

Last edited:
ipconfig /all
Is your domain server in the list of DNS servers, and if not, is a server in the list which is authorative for your domain?

The domain server is the #1 DNS server, and it is also the DHCP server.

Have you tried logging on with explict domain account:
domainname\user
or
user@domain
If so, what error do you get?

I can login without a problem, however i cannot access any networked computer. When i try to map a drive, or browse directly for a networked computer, it says network location is unavailable.

How about trying a static ip and manual config of gateway and dns on the problem pc? I've seen some odd dhcp issues a couple times on winxp machines.

If you are trying to remotely access a drive on a domain joined computer, you still have to create a share on the target computer. Joining a computer to a domain does not auto-magically share everything.

If you are trying to remotely access a drive on a domain joined computer, you still have to create a share on the target computer. Joining a computer to a domain does not auto-magically share everything.

uh ya, i'm well aware of that. I was unable to browse any network computers. i cannot "see" other computers on the network. Trying to browse them by typing \\computername doesn't return anything. It says network connection unavailable. I was able to ping both by computername and ip address, but not actually access them via windows explorer. I gave up and loaded win 7.

it could be loading a cached copy of the profile for your login, and not really authenticating.

after verifying that you have a valid ip thats been pulled from dhcp

try pings to
computername
computername.domain
ip of server you want to reach.

case 1, dns and network is working and i don't know.
case 2, it's trying to resolve local addresses from somewhere other than the local dns. I get this a lot with outside computers that are joined to a different domain.
case 3, winsock error possibly? depending on os. havent seen many of those with 7, but i had oodles with xp and 2000.

Try a tracert to the ip of the server you want, then try it to the servername and servername.domain

Back