Local Media Streaming Device

PolygonGTC

[H]ard|Gawd
So, I'm looking for a local media streaming device. I've been using an HTPC and I'm done with it. I just want something quick and dirty. So, please don't suggest anything like a Raspberry Pi. Here's what it needs to be able to do.

Stream media locally from my server in MKV.
Stream YouTube and Netflix.
RJ-45 connection.
An RSS feed manager would be nice.
A nice looking interface that takes advantage of metadata would be really nice.

So far, the only one I can find that meets most of these is WD TV Live. It would do everything except it's interface isn't nice and no metadata. I found some software called MovieSheets+ that does all that but doesn't work for that model.

So, any suggestions. Everything else I've looked at seems to have a lot of issues, or doesn't support the first three things, which are a must.

This thread has basically the same discussion
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1781286

The KD Links 720 is brought up but I never heard of that device before. Not sure if its interface would be any better than WD TV Live. Roku suppose to have a pretty good interface experience going but you would need to setup Plex on a PC and use the Plex add-on for local content. And it doesn't do Youtube.

Yeah, that's one of the ones I didn't care for the reviews on. I care much more about it working right than it's interface. I saw that thread but I seemed to concentrate on stuff I'm not interested in like the Raspberry Pi and Intel NUC. I did just find this and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on it since I wouldn't have to have a separate BD player.

Samsung BD-F7500

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Roku or Google TV. I have the Roku 2XS and a Vizio Co star (GTV), and I´m a big fan of Roku's simplicity, but GoogleTV completely won me over, and since I got it in my living room I just use the HTPC for gaming.

Easy to use, fullblown remote with qwerty, thousands of android apps, all the big VOD streaming services support it, youtube app is awesome, cross-service search function, the Primetime suggestion app.. It just has it all. Plex app looks awesome on it, much much better UI then on the Roku - And you really want to be using Plex for local media, there's just nothing that compares to it.

LiveTV throughput is really nice, I have an overlayed newsfeed app that pops up over whatever I´m watching, nice way to keep up date on breaking news. The remote is an universal remote which is a big plus.

That Samsung BD player is not that bad either, acceptable choice of apps, Plex being one of them along with most streaming services. But being one of those that likes to browse youtube from their living room sofa, the GTV+full qwerty remote just makes up for a perfect combo.

Neither have native support for MKV. I have no interest in using Plex to transcode.

WDTV Live is your only real choice if you want perfect mkv support. Otherwise you need a full blown PC. No other device does mkv as well as the WDTV at that price point.

Yeah, that's one of the ones I didn't care for the reviews on. I care much more about it working right than it's interface. I saw that thread but I seemed to concentrate on stuff I'm not interested in like the Raspberry Pi and Intel NUC. I did just find this and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on it since I wouldn't have to have a separate BD player.

Samsung BD-F7500

This will only work if you can guarantee the audio within the mkv container is in AC3. I'm willing to bet on some of your MKV's you will only get video with no audio. Which is why you have to use some form of transcoding to deal with this or adhere to a standard that is compatible to the extender or streamer via script

i vote for the wdtv. i have a gen 1, 2 and 3. i may be kinda biased though since i haven't owned any others. You can also pass thru the dts audio or just output it as stereo. works with shared folders or media servers. i tried moviesheets on it. couldn't ever get it to work properly. probably just me.

gratuitous picture

1385940_10200751589256741_259391192_n.jpg

Last edited:
Wdtv live UI and speed kills my soul! Once you go xbmc you can't go back.

WD Live Streaming media player does have metadata/cover art support for your MKV files..
not sure where you found that it doesn't.. but that is incorrect..

Moviesheets was for the older models..

This will only work if you can guarantee the audio within the mkv container is in AC3. I'm willing to bet on some of your MKV's you will only get video with no audio. Which is why you have to use some form of transcoding to deal with this or adhere to a standard that is compatible to the extender or streamer via script

All my MKVs were ripped by me and they are all AC3 save for a few with DTS.

GTV devices support MKV's just fine without transcoding. I've tried playback with ViMu, worked fine with subtitles.

Okay. I didn't search a ton on it, but they players I could find didn't and didn't have glowing reviews.

i vote for the wdtv. i have a gen 1, 2 and 3. i may be kinda biased though since i haven't owned any others. You can also pass thru the dts audio or just output it as stereo. works with shared folders or media servers. i tried moviesheets on it. couldn't ever get it to work properly. probably just me.

gratuitous picture

1385940_10200751589256741_259391192_n.jpg

I talked my brother into a couple of Gen3's since he didn't want to go the HTPC route. I just never liked the UI or the lack of metadata support.

Wdtv live UI and speed kills my soul! Once you go xbmc you can't go back.

Yeah, after you spend three weeks getting it running just how you want.

WD Live Streaming media player does have metadata/cover art support for your MKV files..
not sure where you found that it doesn't.. but that is incorrect..

Moviesheets was for the older models..

WDTV Live is your only real choice if you want perfect mkv support. Otherwise you need a full blown PC. No other device does mkv as well as the WDTV at that price point.

Do you mean this one?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GK0GKO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I found that late last night and I think it's the best option if this BD player doesn't pan out. I ordered one just in case this morning.

All my MKVs were ripped by me and they are all AC3 save for a few with DTS.

Okay. I didn't search a ton on it, but they players I could find didn't and didn't have glowing reviews.

I talked my brother into a couple of Gen3's since he didn't want to go the HTPC route. I just never liked the UI or the lack of metadata support.

Yeah, after you spend three weeks getting it running just how you want.

Do you mean this one?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GK0GKO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I found that late last night and I think it's the best option if this BD player doesn't pan out. I ordered one just in case this morning.

That has the same gui/software as the Live Streaming media player..just has the bay with hdd included.

That has the same gui/software as the Live Streaming media player..just has the bay with hdd included.

The latest one, without the hard drive http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005KOZNBW

That's the one I've gotten for my brother and I've not seen any use of metadata or background images. What am I missing?

Edit: Just did some looking and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CEtFnv96deQ

Is that what you're talking about, where he brings up the movies and switches to the view where he's scrolling from left to right? Also, can you set up that same view for music?

Last edited:
Not sure about music....i believe it may though..

for the metadata to work, you need to turn on/ enable the Media Library option..
Then you can set it for automatic or manual ..
Automatic will automatically scrape the moviedb for the XML metadata.. Manual mode you have to explicitly get the content for your movie library.

Thanks a ton man. You've been a lot of help. I cancelled my order for the Live Hub and got the Live Streaming instead.

Samsung BD-F7500

I have a Samsung BD player with apps. Granted its a lower end older one. I hate using it. Miserable experience. Also The point about Samsungs not taking AAC sound is my esperience too, you'll need audio transcoded to AC3 and its even puked on some MP4 variants. I've literally encoded MP4 to MP4 in order to play it.

I have a Samsung BD player with apps. Granted its a lower end older one. I hate using it. Miserable experience. Also The point about Samsungs not taking AAC sound is my esperience too, you'll need audio transcoded to AC3 and its even puked on some MP4 variants. I've literally encoded MP4 to MP4 in order to play it.

Yep, I gave it a shot and I had problems as well. I was glad I ordered the WD player jut in case. Now I just need to sell my HTPC.

Back