Loading an OS from an image

COPE2

n00b
How do you load an OS from an image like they do at schools? Everytime it restarts, it goes back to its original state. Is this something hard to do? Are there any sites that offer tutorials? Anyone here know how to do it? Thanks.

They probably use something like Deep Freeze, most likely the corporate (volume) version in such places, or software that's similar. Powerful stuff...

Windows actually had something like that, a tool from Microsoft to keep systems from being altered, but I'm not sure if it applies to Windows 7 or Vista these days, I think it was designed for XP. Can't even remember the name anymore, geez I'm gettin' old... :D

AHA!!! Found it:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...62-C084-4356-906F-426BC814582A&displaylang=en

Microsoft SteadyState, shows XP and Vista compatible but I'm not so sure about Windows 7. This thread of info is very long, with links and suggestions for other products, but it seems Windows 7 isn't compatible and they have no intention of creating a WSS for Windows 7 either:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...y/thread/0110d93c-eea5-4da9-9eea-d97ff88bff0e

Last edited:
Yeah its most likely Deep Freeze as its the most popular. However there is a new program that is getting strong support, its called Fortress or something like that, suppose to be more configurable then Deep Freeze.

I don't think Fortress is exactly new. If my memory serves me correctly, my middle and high school used to use fortress to protect the computers (this was back in the Win3.1/95/98 days). I seem to remember the little brick wall in the sys tray in HS.

I could be completely wrong but I seem to remember something like that back in the W95 days at school.

At this point in time, SteadyState is not available for Win7. Fortress and Deep Freeze are both options, but unless you've got a large deployment it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

I have used steady state on quite a few computers in the past year and a half. it works exactly as it should on XP, and it is free.
Some of these computers are used by 20 random people in a day and have 0 issues. if something gets screwed up, restart the computer.

Back