Load Balancing/Bandwidth Combining

amenthes

Limp Gawd
Alright, here's a challenge.

For the next month or so, I have the pleasure of having two broadband connections at home, a 6Mbit cable connection and a 3Mbit DSL connection. Since I have way too much time on my hands, I'd like to figure out a way to utilize all this BW. (Not that I NEED it, but I'd be far from a geek if I let it go to waste!)

I know theres no true way to spread traffic out over two connections without configuring both ends of the connection, but it seems that I should be able to use two connections with something thats multithreaded, like a download manager or bittorrent etc.

I've done some research, and found a couple programs that used to do something like this, but neither of them are in production anymore and the versions I found wouldn't work properly on XP. (Midpoint Software and Vicomsoft Surfdoubler)

So does anyone know of any other software that can do something like this, or have any other suggestions? I'm not willing to buy any hardware (since this is short-term), or do any major things like set up a linux box as a router. This is just for fun, and to see if I can do it.

50 bucks isnt alot to spend

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833164146

HAWKING H2BR4 10/100Mbps Dual WAN Firewall Router

Supports up to 253 Users
Allows multiple users to share one Internet line or two Internet lines
Interner access via Cable or xDSL modem
Remote management and configuration over the Internet
Easy-to-use web-based user interface for configuration and management purposes
Web User Interface (Remote Configuration)
NAT/NAPT IP Sharing
Supports DDNS (DynDNS/TZO)
Supports Special Applications such as Port Triggers
System Status (Port Connectivity) function
Security Log
Multimedia Streaming Protocol Support: RTSP (Real Player, QuickTime, IP/TV Video on Demand, NetMeeting, etc.)
Supports Network Access Control
Supports Content Filtering

DaKozMan said:
Not willing to buy hardware, I only have the two connections for a month.

Malk-a-Mite said:
http://www.samag.com/documents/s=18...0201h/0201h.htm
Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking, but I'd like to avoid having to set up another box and install linux etc.

I should mention I'm running Windows XP.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, keep 'em comin. I'm basically looking for software that runs on WinXP to do this job, although that may be an impossible dream.

Not to let any wind out of your sails..but if you're a single user, you're not really going to realize any gain in performance. Load balancing dual WAN connections..you won't be able to push it far. I tried it for a few weeks while my DSL was still going, and I switched to cable. Used an RV082 router. Was fun to dork with the auto-failover..for about 4 minutes.

I know, its completely useless, I'm sure I'll only use it to download one file if I get it working. It's more of a proof-of-concept experiment (plus, I could say I have 9Mbit of bandwidth!). I just wanted to see if anyone had done it, and if so how. I'm continuing to play with it on my own as well.
Seems like a dual-WAN router or a linux box config are about the only ways its happening though.

I starting think about this when I read about some users with 15Mbit+ FIOS connections. I'm really not sure what you'd do with that much bandwidth on a long term basis, without being able to host any sort of server.

But you wouldn't have 9mb of bandwidth. You'd still have a 6mb max.
I'm not looking for failover, I'm looking for using both connections at once. I realize they can't be combined so that one thing can use 9mbit, but thoretically I can downoad at 6m on one and 3m on the other, thus totalling 9m. That's exactly what SurfDoubler used to do, but I can't get it to work on WinXP

Back