LMAO iPhone 5 $800 rumors ...

Weren't unlocked S3s close to this when it released? Not unheard of for a brand new unsubsidized smart phone.

They were about $750, but only if you imported it. It covered VAT, shipping overseas, profit for the merchant, etc. You were also paying "first in line" tax. You can get an International S3 now for around $600.

They were about $750, but only if you imported it. It covered VAT, shipping overseas, profit for the merchant, etc. You were also paying "first in line" tax. You can get an International S3 now for around $600.

Yeah, but this one includes the luxury tax. Like how some golf courses are really expensive just to keep poor people out.

If that $800 price tag is for the top-of-the-line 64GB 4G ZOMG variant, that's probably not too far off from reality IMO. That said, if the usual pattern holds, that's probably going to be the unofficial price for these for the first few weeks anyway...

It will sell regardless, esp. at carrier subsidized prices, even if they're at $300+ on contract. People gotta have their iDerps!

I am going to help a computer client set up an iphone for their 9 year old. Why the hell does a nine your old need an iphone let alone a smartphone. This is getting so out of hand. More than 50 percent of the people with iphones don't even need a smartphone.

If that $800 price tag is for the top-of-the-line 64GB 4G ZOMG variant, that's probably not too far off from reality IMO. That said, if the usual pattern holds, that's probably going to be the unofficial price for these for the first few weeks anyway...

The thread went a bit different direction from what I expected...The article was hilarious because if you read it you would see that the "speculation" on the price tag was probably based on stock price references in one article, or another article which has a couple of different iPhone 5 for sale in the range of 850 ~ 1050 for the high version...The speculation and how rumors were being blasted all over the place through twitter.

I am going to help a computer client set up an iphone for their 9 year old. Why the hell does a nine your old need an iphone let alone a smartphone. This is getting so out of hand. More than 50 percent of the people with iphones don't even need a smartphone.

Agree with you 100%. My 12 year old is going to get my Skyrocket when I upgrade so he can have a phone, a handheld gaming platform (to replace his psp), and start learning about the beauty of CM9/10 and other open source development :D

The only thing more funny than the people who "just have to have it, but don't really know why" are the same class of people that will go out and pay for it with a credit card and NOT pay off the balance in 30 days.

So just for some extra laughs that 700 dollar phone will wind up costing you 1200 dollars if you only feel like making the minimum payments.

And if a parent feels the need to get their 9 year old child that's their choice. But odds are the same kid is going to turn into an entitled douche, and he will get some experience being indoctrinated on the whole "I have an iPhone, I'm better than my friend johnny at school because he only has an iPhone 3GS"

Eventually I think everyone will wake up and realize how little apple gives you while demanding crazy amounts of money/control. I remember in 07' getting the first iphone was pretty damn awesome, after that I picked up a 3G, at that point I started to realize how limited and how little control I actually had. Ever since then I've been a droid guy. When grandma and grandpa are cashing in their social security checks for an iPhone, and a mom is spending her kids college education money on an iPhone instead.... that's when I get a good laugh. Sooner or later these people are going to realize the little "magical" device they blew all that money on isn't making them smarter/cooler/more productive.

The galaxy s3 is powerful enough to actually rape many laptops. I still think apple is going to kill its self with the 5. They are changing powerplug again so all that hardware you already purchased will be obsolete. Steve jobs is dead and his company is going to die also because his leadership is no more.

I don't own a single apple product but I'm actually interested in the iphone5. The leaked images are just what I'm looking for (size and simplicity) and I don't have any iproducts that will become obsolete with the new plug.

I wish our company would support Android more. They really push employees to have iPhones if they want company mail. If you go android you have to purchase touchdown if you want to get email. Not to mention the lack of support via web apps and VPN access.

I don't own a single apple product but I'm actually interested in the iphone5. The leaked images are just what I'm looking for (size and simplicity) and I don't have any iproducts that will become obsolete with the new plug.

If you can snag one for 200 or 300 dollars then more power to you. I would say your situation would have the be in the minority, for as many people that have gone out and bought 50-100-200 dollars in accessories for their iphone, finding out all that stuff turns to junk overnight is highly discouraging for anyone.

If you can snag one for 200 or 300 dollars then more power to you. I would say your situation would have the be in the minority, for as many people that have gone out and bought 50-100-200 dollars in accessories for their iphone, finding out all that stuff turns to junk overnight is highly discouraging for anyone.

If the change the connector, there will br adapters. It doesn't make the old stuff useless.

Coming soon, the old iPhone to new iPhone connection adapter. Get yours now for only $100!!!!!

If the change the connector, there will br adapters. It doesn't make the old stuff useless.

Sure there will be - but would you be happy if all of a sudden it was decided that gasoline and diesel were not "good enough" (despite having no major flaws or issues powering our automobiles) And that whatever new standard of fuel was decided on, you had to go buy a 750 dollar adapter for your cars engine to use the new fuel?

You, and every other person in this country would be pissed that something you paid for, own, and works very well is suddenly obsolete just so someone else can make a crap ton of money.

Unless the new dock connector cures cancer, smells like roses, and gives BJ's, there is absolutely no reason to mess with it and destroy compatibility across hundreds of millions of devices just so the design team can say "it looks better".

Unless the new dock connector cures cancer, smells like roses, and gives BJ's, there is absolutely no reason to mess with it and destroy compatibility across hundreds of millions of devices just so the design team can say "it looks better".

Well, a BJ is involved with the new connector...It's just you giving it to Apple rather than the connector to you ;)

Sure there will be - but would you be happy if all of a sudden it was decided that gasoline and diesel were not "good enough" (despite having no major flaws or issues powering our automobiles) And that whatever new standard of fuel was decided on, you had to go buy a 750 dollar adapter for your cars engine to use the new fuel?

You, and every other person in this country would be pissed that something you paid for, own, and works very well is suddenly obsolete just so someone else can make a crap ton of money.

Drama queen much? Apple switching connectors after many years isn't the worst thing in the world.

It's certainly not - however things like this make me even more proud to have ditched the iphone camp years ago.

Any apple/iphone specific argument aside though -- the only other group that's great at taking a proven, efficient, reliable, method or product and completely pissing it away is the US Government.

When a company says "we are green, we are efficient, we care about our customers, our product, and the environment" but then says "eh screw it, lets make them all go out and buy new accessories or expensive adapters" it really lets you get a glimpse of how the company (and people who defend them) thinks.

The fair thing to do if they are so hell bent on changing the connector - is cough up the extra 45 cents and include an adapter with the purchase of every iphone5. Who are we kidding though - we will see them on sale for $19.95 and 6 months later I'll be able to get one for $24.95 but in some crazy awesome hipster color

We as americans need to get over the need for "subsidized" phones. This is a two way street however, as carriers need to realize that by not subsidizing phones, plan rates need to go down. I cant wait for the day when we actually DO pay 6-800 for a phone, but the corresponding cell service is $20-30/month.

gasoline and diesel were not "good enough"(despite having no major flaws or issues powering our automobiles)

That's debatable, but I'm not going to discuss that.

Also the new dock connector is rumored to be compatible with microUSB.

Last edited:

Show me another phone that has hardware that works with the first version and the latest version after 5 year, like a speaker dock.

No one is forcing me to buy a new iPhone 5, your analogy of gas is stating that you MUST get an adaptor or your car doesn't work, which is not the case here.

overpriced as hell but no one can say they dont work like a charm.. ive used both an iphone 4 and the s3 and android phones just crash too often...

Ehh, i want my kids to have smartphones so i can track them and get a hold of them anytime any place. But they are 4 and 1, so it wont be any time soon...

overpriced as hell but no one can say they dont work like a charm.. ive used both an iphone 4 and the s3 and android phones just crash too often...

This. I've tried to use a few Android phones. The fonts it the web browser looked like crap, it practically forces me to sync all my data to Google, and it randomly crashes. I even bought an Android tablet and it feels like using a Mac in 1995 with random errors: "The App has expectingly quit." I had to hack NetFlix to load on the tablet because the specific brand/model (purchased at retail in a store in the USA -- not something off-brand) wasn't supported. Seriously? HBO Go I tried to load, wouldn't install or run again because the exact brand/model combination I had wasn't supported. So basically there's no commonality that I saw in Andoird as you have in the iPhone/iPad where it will either work or it won't.

Show me another phone that has hardware that works with the first version and the latest version after 5 year, like a speaker dock.

No one is forcing me to buy a new iPhone 5, your analogy of gas is stating that you MUST get an adaptor or your car doesn't work, which is not the case here.
I wasn't going to bring it up but I found the analogy strange mainly because I'm old enough to remember leaded gas and now I'm fortunate enough to drive something that requires me paying attention to the zddp levels in my oil--so his analogy fails on multiple levels.

$800 is probably for the factory unlocked, 64 gig version. Wasn't the 4S factory unlocked around 700 when it first came out?

Right now on Sprint, a 64gb iPhone 4S off contract is $849.99

Back