• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Living Room SFF Pc thoughts?

kaddar

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 4, 2006
Messages
81
Greetings! I'm building a pc for my living room. Here's what I have planned so far:

Case: SilverStone SUGO SG02-BF Black ABS / SECC Steel MicroATX Desktop Computer Case
Drive: ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM ( I wanted to get the optiaric sony drive, but I've heard non slot drives are noisier... )
Video Card: Radeon 7850 (msi, gigabyte, xfx? Thoughts?)

Anyways, I'm not sure what mobo / cpu I should get, so that's my biggest question. I also considered the 7770 for its low power consumption, but the 7850 seems to do pretty well on idle according to reviews, so I fell back to it... (However I do want something that isn't going to dissipate too much heat into my living room in the summer)


The following are answers to templated questions:
1. What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming (diablo 3 / skyrim / guild wars 2), Movies

2. What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included in this budget? Is your budget flexible? Is cost a driving factor in component selection? $500-$900 is a good range...

3. Where do you live? Do you have any big B&M (brick and mortar) computer chains nearby (e.g. Microcenter, Fry's, etc)? Cambridge, MA, Microcenter

4. What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, Ram, Case, Mobo, Video Card

5. If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? HX650w & 75gb Intel SSD

6. What specific features do you need in a motherboard? Features are nice but not overly important. However, I might want enough usb ports to hook up a couple of game controllers (I guess I can get a splitter for that though...)

7. What resolution output do you need? 1080p. Not intended to do multiple monitor, although I may VPN into it.

8. Does this system need to fit into a particular space? Yes, entertainment center shelves. Not very tight though.

9. How comfortable are you with custom case design/modification and electrical wiring? I can do this but I'd prefer nothing that requires a hacksaw.

10. How important is the noise/silence of this sytem? Important when watching movies, not important when playing games (e.g., cpu / vid card that scales?)

11. How mobile does this system need to be? Not too important.

12. Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? nope :(

13. When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Immediately
 
8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 - $46.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428
Asus Maximus V Gene Z77 209.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131830&Tpk=gene z77
Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3570k - $244.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504
MSI 7850 or Asus 7850 $259.99 each http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127663
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121623





I'd buy this PC-V354 instead of the Sugo if it will fit for you but totally up to you. another 20% off right now. I have it on top of my entertainment rack.259
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112300


Top end of your budget but it would make you very happy
 
Back
Top