Livin in FLwanna talk to parents in TN via PCwant to see & hear themwhat do I need

Hey there...I will be living in Florida for 7 months...my parents (and I) live in TN...I want to be able to communicate visually and vocally...I guess that's like video conferencing, right??? So what all do I need in order to do this??? I want the video and audio to be live and I want to be able to leave video/audio messages if, say, they're asleep or gone...and I want to TRY to get it so the video isn't jumpy...so smooth live video...

Any ideas???
THANX
C'YA :cool:

1) Webcam (most have a mic built in)
2) Software such as ISPQ, MSN Messenger that allows video conferencing (there are tons of these, but make sure you and your parents have the same program)

That's it. A faster internet connection would definitely help, such as cable.

Where in FL will you be living?

cuemasterfl said:
1) Webcam (most have a mic built in)
What kind of features do webcams have?? If I'm getting a webcam, is there a way that I can make it into a "security" webcam??? A bonus would be to have it on at all times and record video at all times when I'm away from my PC...even better would be to have it start recording via some kind of sensor...any suggestions???

cuemasterfl said:
2) Software such as ISPQ, MSN Messenger that allows video conferencing (there are tons of these, but make sure you and your parents have the same program)
Again...sorta the same response as above...what kind of features do the many webcam software can I be looking for??? Would it be possible for it to automatically record when the sensor (if I can get a webcam with a sensor) picks up movement???

cuemasterfl said:
Where in FL will you be living?
DISNEY WORLD!!! YAY!!!!! FREE pass to ALL parks (except water parks) and 60% off all hotels for my family and FREE drinks and all kinds of other discounts...I'm doing the Walt Disney World College Program...go check it out...it looks SO fun...it's a PAID intership...$6.25/hr plus optional overtime...not sure how much overtime is tho...I'll be doing overtime as much as possible so I can try to get a 3 day break to go to our family reunion and possibly Christmas...

cuemasterfl said:
That's it. A faster internet connection would definitely help, such as cable.
HOPEFULLY I'll be getting Road Runner cable connection...depends on where I end up living...my roommates will be jealous...:)

The webcams all do basically the same thing - send/receive audio and video. However, there any tons of programs out there that do what you're looking for. Some of them cater for the need to just chat with people via video and audio, and some allow you to run your own webcam so others on the internet can see you (if you give them your IP), while others do in fact act as a security cam where they will take snapshots every so many seconds, store them, and even e-mail them to an e-mail address at an interval you set. Some will even detect motion. I don't think there's a program that will do absolutely everything mentioned above, but combined they will.

I suggest going to www.snapfiles.com and looking in the free section. Also try www.download.com

If you get RoadRunner (which I have) you'll be very happy with it. I'm going to bed now :)

I'm thinking about POSSIBLY getting TWO webcams...it depends on if I get webcam #2 or not...Webcam #1 will be the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000...Webcam #2 will be the security webcam...I'm looking at the D-Link Internet Cams...eBay doesn't have the 6200 ones but they DO have the DCS-5300...they also have the 2000 but it's kinda old and I don't like the security cam look...looks too much like a security cam found at buildings and banks and stuff...I like the 5300 and up cause they have more of a webcam look...

I can be real paranoid about protecting my stuff...I don't like strangers touching my stuff...I have a relative who's a cap or something higher up and with a security cam like the D-Link ones, if something gets stolen, I have video and audio proof of the crime...all I'd have to do is play it to the cops and voila...BUSTED!!!

I like the DCS-5300 cause it has pan & tilt and & zoom and has a built-in motion detector and a patrol mode and built-in microphone and other nice goodies...and it's only $271.00 shipped at ZipZoomFly which is CHEAPER than eBay...:eek:...that's kinda rare to find a reseller selling a new product that's cheaper than ones found on eBay...

Metallica_Band said:
I'm thinking about POSSIBLY getting TWO webcams...it depends on if I get webcam #2 or not...Webcam #1 will be the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000...Webcam #2 will be the security webcam...I'm looking at the D-Link Internet Cams...eBay doesn't have the 6200 ones but they DO have the DCS-5300...they also have the 2000 but it's kinda old and I don't like the security cam look...looks too much like a security cam found at buildings and banks and stuff...I like the 5300 and up cause they have more of a webcam look...

I can be real paranoid about protecting my stuff...I don't like strangers touching my stuff...I have a relative who's a cap or something higher up and with a security cam like the D-Link ones, if something gets stolen, I have video and audio proof of the crime...all I'd have to do is play it to the cops and voila...BUSTED!!!

I like the DCS-5300 cause it has pan & tilt and & zoom and has a built-in motion detector and a patrol mode and built-in microphone and other nice goodies...and it's only $271.00 shipped at ZipZoomFly which is CHEAPER than eBay...:eek:...that's kinda rare to find a reseller selling a new product that's cheaper than ones found on eBay...
Christ thats expensive. Seriously, just buy a Logitec Quickcam and a cheapo mic. The software includes motion detection and all. Why do you need more than that? It won't make your stuff any more secure.

edit: Ooh, or better yet...lock your door.

are you doing the disney co-op? they have been pusing that at my school, and i was wondering how it is. let me know once you start doing it :)

redhalo said:
Seriously, just buy a Logitec Quickcam and a cheapo mic.
I'll consider getting the QuickCam Pro 4000 but it doesn't have a mic...hmmmm...hey...it DOES have a built-on mic...why the hell did I choose that D-Link over the QuickCam Pro 4000??? I'll do some comparing...

Well after some researching, I found out that Logitech STILL hasn't fixed their damn mount...I had an OLD b&w webcam from them and it fell off all the time...I have also tried out another one of theirs and same problem...seems like the webcam STILL has trouble staying put on its mount...I like how the D-Link can patrol the area...not sure if the Logitech one can do that or not...I've also heard that the software has some problems and you can't resize the video...plus you can't record at 1.3mp...their mouse software sux too so I don't find this suprising...I'm also hearing that the video in MSN messenger is poor and that in order for you to upload the vid and still pics to the internet while u're away that you gotta sign-up for a subscriptioon service and give up a bunch of personal info...:eek:

With the DCS-5300 you can remotely control the webcam from the internet cause it's web based (and free I believe...not sure how it works)...from what I've seen, there are more positive reviews for this than the Logitech...with the Logitech one, either ppl love it and give it a 9 or 10 or they hate it and give it a 0-4...not many 5-8 ratings for it...

I may get the D-Link one since $200 really isn't all that much and get the Logitech one for my parents to use at home so we can talk that way...MAYBE I can even get my sister to one...then I could help troubleshoot their many computer probs...

I'll have to think and do some more research...

Metallica_Band said:
I'll consider getting the QuickCam Pro 4000 but it doesn't have a mic...hmmmm...hey...it DOES have a built-on mic...why the hell did I choose that D-Link over the QuickCam Pro 4000??? I'll do some comparing...

Well after some researching, I found out that Logitech STILL hasn't fixed their damn mount...I had an OLD b&w webcam from them and it fell off all the time...I have also tried out another one of theirs and same problem...seems like the webcam STILL has trouble staying put on its mount...I like how the D-Link can patrol the area...not sure if the Logitech one can do that or not...I've also heard that the software has some problems and you can't resize the video...plus you can't record at 1.3mp...their mouse software sux too so I don't find this suprising...I'm also hearing that the video in MSN messenger is poor and that in order for you to upload the vid and still pics to the internet while u're away that you gotta sign-up for a subscriptioon service and give up a bunch of personal info...:eek:

With the DCS-5300 you can remotely control the webcam from the internet cause it's web based (and free I believe...not sure how it works)...from what I've seen, there are more positive reviews for this than the Logitech...with the Logitech one, either ppl love it and give it a 9 or 10 or they hate it and give it a 0-4...not many 5-8 ratings for it...

I may get the D-Link one since $200 really isn't all that much and get the Logitech one for my parents to use at home so we can talk that way...MAYBE I can even get my sister to one...then I could help troubleshoot their many computer probs...

I'll have to think and do some more research...
Doesn't really matter if it has a mic, you can pick one up for $10, not really a selling point for a $200 camera. And trust me you don't want to be recording at 1.3mp, you'll fill your hard drive up in no time. Why would you need to contol the camera from the web? Hey, it's your money, but it seems like waste to me. Not like the court is going to take the evidence any differently cause you have more high end equipment. Actually, with a camera like that, I'd be more prone to stealing that along with everything else. Besides, like i said before, whats wrong with just locking your door?

I am a college student and I talk to my parents over MSN all the time, and they are halfway around the world. I have the Creative Webcam NX Pro and frankly that is good enough for me.

redhalo said:
whats wrong with just locking your door?
this is not ur normal place...it's like a small house with dormrooms in it...it's got a kitchen and den and bathrooms and stuff...each bedroom holds more than one person...so I don't think there'd be a lock on the bedrooms...

I would like to have the video downloaded on a hdd other than the one that's on my computer...like the one I'll be leaving at home that I'll fix so I have total control over it from FL...it'll have ~240GB's in it...I believe that D-Link does that...and if I'm right, the Logitech can too but it's subscription-based...any way of doing that with the Logitech one WITHOUT using their subscription service???

Metallica_Band said:
this is not ur normal place...it's like a small house with dormrooms in it...it's got a kitchen and den and bathrooms and stuff...each bedroom holds more than one person...so I don't think there'd be a lock on the bedrooms...

I would like to have the video downloaded on a hdd other than the one that's on my computer...like the one I'll be leaving at home that I'll fix so I have total control over it from FL...it'll have ~240GB's in it...I believe that D-Link does that...and if I'm right, the Logitech can too but it's subscription-based...any way of doing that with the Logitech one WITHOUT using their subscription service???
A room mate who is going to be aware of what your setting up will be able to get around it easily enough if the so chose.

I'm going to be in the same boat you are (moving to Orlando in the fall) so thanks for the thread man. :)

CrimandEvil said:
I'm going to be in the same boat you are (moving to Orlando in the fall) so thanks for the thread man. :)
I got a friend going to school down there I see regularly. She's thinking of moving once she's out soon cause she can't find any work past that of fast food. Lots of fun in orlando, aside from Disney and all.

I'll tell you what though, the dorms in Orlando tend to cost more than the apartments in the same areas. Something to think about.

redhalo said:
What school are you going to? UCF?
I'm doing the Walt Disney World College Program...it's a PAID intership at the world most magical place...I'll be living AT Disney World...I get cool discounts like FREE park admiission (except the water parks last I heard) and my parents get 60% off Disney resorts...and it'll look bad ass on my resume...

Disney is awesome but I LOVE Universal Studios and their other park...and even better is their 2-park annual pass is only a mere $179.95...plus some fun special deals come with that...FREE Disney admission AND a 2-park annual pass to Universal Studios??? Now THAT has FUN spelled all over it!!! :D

Metallica_Band said:
I'm doing the Walt Disney World College Program...it's a PAID intership at the world most magical place...I'll be living AT Disney World...I get cool discounts like FREE park admiission (except the water parks last I heard) and my parents get 60% off Disney resorts...and it'll look bad ass on my resume...

Disney is awesome but I LOVE Universal Studios and their other park...and even better is their 2-park annual pass is only a mere $179.95...plus some fun special deals come with that...FREE Disney admission AND a 2-park annual pass to Universal Studios??? Now THAT has FUN spelled all over it!!! :D
You think thats a good deal try actually being a resident of Florida...it's like half off of all admision or more at times. Or better yet, military, like me, Universal Studios is letting us in for free untill next December.

i live in Orlando.

its fun here, youll enjoy it.

if you live in Orlando, and want a really good job, you want to work for either Disney, or Lockheed Martin.

i have a really good job ;)

redhalo said:
I got a friend going to school down there I see regularly. She's thinking of moving once she's out soon cause she can't find any work past that of fast food. Lots of fun in orlando, aside from Disney and all.
Well the only reason I'm moving down is because I was offered a job, I'll make 24k the first year and then 55k after that. :)

Back