• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Live USB for FreeNAS

Jagger100

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 31, 2004
Messages
7,710
Just some beginner questions.

Does the Live USB version of FreeNAS have any persistence. Or do I (can I) install FreeNAS from CD to USB Flash drive like it was a Hard Drive?

Also do I need to manually configure the network adapter? Does it recognize an ethernet attachment by default? Does it (or can it) recognize wireless adapters?

This is ultimately for Media streaming and backing up files from my system. I won't have any multiple Blu-ray level throughputs being streamed at once anytime soon. Just a single DVD so wireless will probably do without any disruption.
 
Yes, it auto recognizes supported ethernet adapters and auto configures for DHCP. The list of supported adapters is the same as FreeBSD.

Wireless no. If you want wireless just connect the FreeNAS box do your wireless router via ethernet.
 
Yes, it auto recognizes supported ethernet adapters and auto configures for DHCP. The list of supported adapters is the same as FreeBSD.

Wireless no. If you want wireless just connect the FreeNAS box do your wireless router via ethernet.

Thank. The Box is going to be dual purpose until I make a dedicated NAS box. I do have a generic ethernet to wi-fi 'game adapter' I think I can free up if I shuffle some things around in the meantime.
 
Back
Top