Live Tonight: SpaceX Cargo Mission, Rocket Landing

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
A Falcon 9 rocket will be lifting off from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida at 12:45 a.m. EDT, and the booster's first stage will try to touch down softly back at Cape Canaveral minutes later. If things go according to plan, it will be the fifth successful landing.

"I'm pretty optimistic at this point in time that we land it, but I would always knock on wood," Hans Koenigsmann, vice president of flight reliability at SpaceX, said during a prelaunch news conference Saturday (July 16). "That's part of the nature of this maneuver — it's pretty challenging." The landing is a secondary objective, however; the main goal of the Falcon 9 launch is to send Dragon on its way to the ISS. The capsule is loaded up with about 3,800 lbs. (1,700 kilograms) of supplies and scientific experiments, as well as a crucial docking adapter that will allow future crewed spacecraft to hook up more easily with the orbiting lab.

I'll be watching for sure. Too cool to miss. Love SpaceX and anything space related.

It's cool we get to wait now for the landing. Used to be you watch it take off and then wait for the vapor trail to dissipate then go home or change channel.

They nailed the landing. I was watching the feeds from NASA and Space-X at the same time. NASA had a nice view looking down as the first stage landed.

They nailed the landing. I was watching the feeds from NASA and Space-X at the same time. NASA had a nice view looking down as the first stage landed.

yup i was watching the nasa feed and listening to the spaceX feed in the background. i'd say they've pretty much got the first stage return perfected at this point.

Now I want to see them reuse one of these first stages. Their launches are already economically feasible but it would be great if they could reduce the launch price even further.

I forgot about the launch, there is nothing like hearing a sonic boom at nearly 1am when you weren't expecting a sonic boom at nearly 1am

god damn

Now I want to see them reuse one of these first stages. Their launches are already economically feasible but it would be great if they could reduce the launch price even further.

I think the next launch with be with used hardware. They haven't said what the cargo will be yet.

Back