Little Thing Came off Motherboard

Long story short: As the BIOS was running, something happened and this little silver deal came off my motherboard. It is hanging on by one lead.

http://www.media.phreakyourgeek.com/0311091722.jpg

Now, before I run out and buy a new mobo, could I solder the broken lead back on and boot it up? What could happen? Assuming I don't short anything out, it should run just fine, correct?

Thats a tough one. I'm not sure, I might need someone to backup my opinion by saying that the little piece looks like it needs a password before you can do anything with it.

And I'm telling you that people need a password to see the picture. You're Welcome.

he's saying the link you posted requires the person FOLLOWING the link to log in, AFTER having registered, before they can even look at the picture. He wasn't being a smart-ass, you apparently put less thought into your quick retort then you did how you posted your link. If you want help, try to put in a LITTLE more effort in understanding what people are trying to tell you before you mouth off.

http://photobucket.com/

and after that use the "[ I M G] [/ I M G ]" tags you’re not going to get much help if you expect people to sign up for something in order to see an image, that has to be done on your side

OK, ok... honest mistake. Lay off the guy, already. The reason they call this HardOCP is because its denizens pounce at the least mistake. OK, so he needs to rehost the picture to something publicly accessable. So OP, do that and let's see what's going on with that motherboard: if this situation hasn't happened yet, it will eventually. I'd like to know how to resolve it.

Lol, ya repost a working image link. I think everyone else has already covered the smart-ass remarks.

If you resolder the lead back on, it should be fine. But you said this happened while you were in the system BIOS so I don't know if that part may have caused any BIOS corruption when it came off midway. Did the computer power off when this piece came off? Or was it still working fine and you just manually cut the computer off?

Post the picture on Image Shack or Photobucket, and we'll see if we can ID the component. It may not actually be a huge deal, or it could be something really important. (BIOS ROM maybe? :eek: )

Oh god, I'm sorry. :p Your statement wasn't very clear, and I took that as I couldn't do anything to the piece unless I had a password or something... Sorry!

Anyway, sorry for the picture issue; I wasn't aware of that limitation. :p

http://www.media.phreakyourgeek.com/0311091722.jpg

Also, I heard a little "popping" sort of noise (not like a spark, just... I dunno how to explain it. The power didn't go off, but being the cautious person I am I immediately tore the power cord out. It should also be noted there was residue around the piece - almost like a burn mark - but it came off and I don't think anything serious happened to the board.

That's a good old capacitor, but a solid state one at that. find the farahad amount of the cap and replace it. then your good. or just desolder it and resolder it.

That's a good old capacitor, but a solid state one at that. find the farahad amount of the cap and replace it. then your good. or just desolder it and resolder it.

It is still on with one lead... Could I just solder the other lead back in place?

Also, if I do this without completely screwing over the board, am I running the risk of hurting the CPU/graphics card/HDDs/etc?

just make sure the system's powered down when you fix the cap, meaning the power cable's not plugged in. also, if you can, try to be on the same plane as the mobod or remove the mobod from the case if you want to be extra careful. Also if you have skill at soldering, it shouldn't be an issue.

I recommend taking the mobod out of your system when you fix it since the pins go through the mobod and you have the option of heating the other side without burning the cap.
Also, make sure you didn't pull the head off of the cap's leads, otherwise no soldering can fix the current cap on the mobod. you'll have to solder on a new cap in place to fix that issue.

If you want to do it cleanly, remove the cap from the system completely, lengthen the broken lead, and resolder both back in. Otherwise you may fight with not having a thin enough solder tip, or possibly touching/heating other components.

Better yet if the mobo is still under warranty, send it back so it can be checked and repaired. There is no sign of abuse I think the manufacturer should fix it.

In the case that the capacitor was damaged when it came loose, I'd rather have you read off the capacitance (should be in units of nF) and just go out to get a new capacitor. It doesn't matter if the new one is an older electrolytic as long as the capacitance is the same.

Whether you decide to use the existing capacitor or a new one, you will want to remove all other components from the board (no CPU in the socket) just for safety precautions.

Here's the problem. The leads do not go all the way through the board. I'm afraid if I try to desolder the other lead I'll end up damaging the board even more.

Hard to see from that pic, but isn't that a surface mount capacitor? Just heat the other lead and it should come right off.

Back