• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Little storage project

G4VEL

n00b
Joined
Mar 25, 2014
Messages
27
Lab needed some IOPS to test some applications. Stay tuned for build out...32x1TB EVO
Vym8C8n.jpg
 
Cheap terabyte SSDs are the future of performance storage.
I think about a similar setup in the near future (multi user video editing)

Please post infos about performance (and reliability after some time)
as the new EVOs use TLC chips instead of MLC.

When we tried to order one lately from our preferred retailer that is specialized to SSDs only
he told us that he has delisted the new EVO due to reliability reasons.

What I have read too is that they are slower and less reliable on heavy writes and more targeted to the consumer market.
http://techreport.com/review/25763/...ans-crucial-m500-960gb-vs-samsung-840-evo-1tb
 
Last edited:
What kind of controller will these be hooked up to?

Eventually split between two LSI SAS3 HBAs inside a larger JBOD chassis. Presently running 4 hosts with 8 drives each connected to 9207-8i. I have a feeling the SAS2 controller is my bottleneck currently.

Cheap terabyte SSDs are the future of performance storage.
I think about a similar setup in the near future (multi user video editing)

Please post infos about performance (and reliability after some time)
as the new EVOs use TLC chips instead of MLC.

When we tried to order one lately from our preferred retailer that is specialized to SSDs only
he told us that he has delisted the new EVO due to reliability reasons.

What I have read too is that they are slower and less reliable on heavy writes and more targeted to the consumer market.
http://techreport.com/review/25763/...ans-crucial-m500-960gb-vs-samsung-840-evo-1tb

You are correct that they are targeted to the "consumer" market. This project's goal is maximizing IOPS/$ and the high-end of the consumer market is pretty much tops for that. Here's an endurance test report. The EVOs definitely shed some cells faster than other drives but they have ample overprovisioning. http://ssdendurancetest.com/ssd-endurance-test-report/Samsung-840-EVO-120

In my use-case, losing individual drive or even several drives simultaneously does not pose a risk for actual data loss, so I am less concerned with failure rate than someone who is putting one in their laptop.

[H], what kind of benchmarks do you guys want to see?
 
Sub'd

I don't care what benchmarks you post, they will be impressive I'm sure! I'm sure others will have some requests.
 
Back
Top