Little Problem...

acetic

Gawd
I have a little problem... Or a Big problem... Not sure yet...

Anyways, So today i go out, buy a new video card (Sapphire Atlantis 9600 Pro) Install it, and play games for about 6 hours. Then i just surf the net and listen to music for about an hour and a half, then realize i have S-Video Out, and decide to go play games on the TV.

So I hook the computer up to the TV, boot it up, play games for about an hour, shut down, move computer back to desk, hook it up, and turn the power on.

Heres where the problem starts. It goes to the winXP logo where it just scrolls, then after about 20 seconds or so, all the lights on my keyboard flash, and my speakers make a "popping" noise, like everything normally would happen, but its alot later than it normally would happen. about 10 seconds after than, the comp just reboots, after it reboots, it takes me to the boot screen, with the safemode, safemode with networking etc... screen, and no matter what i pick it just repeats the process.

Any Ideas? It's not overheating(Its clean, and the BIOS doesn't show temps past 40C, and the Video card is seated right.)

Specs are in sig. (minus 9600 Pro.)

Cliff notes for lazy people: Got new video card, used it for about 7 1/2 hours fine, hooked comp. up to TV with new video card, play games for about an hour. Take comp back to desk, hook up, power up, winXP refuses to boot.

Thanks in Advance!

What happens when you bring it back to the TV? Does it work then? You may have jarred some components while moving it.

lorcani said:
What happens when you bring it back to the TV? Does it work then? You may have jarred some components while moving it.

Thanks for the quick reply... But it just does the same thing on the TV, except the screen flickers until it loads the ATi Drivers...

And I checked the seating of things... everything looks good...

acetic said:
Thanks for the quick reply... But it just does the same thing on the TV, except the screen flickers until it loads the ATi Drivers...

And I checked the seating of things... everything looks good...

Video sounds to me like it's fine.. do you have any other computers you could test components from?

lorcani said:
Video sounds to me like it's fine.. do you have any other computers you could test components from?

Of course i do. I have this comp that Im using right now... I take it I should try swapping RAM, running Memtest, stuffs like that?

acetic said:
Of course i do. I have this comp that Im using right now... I take it I should try swapping RAM, running Memtest, stuffs like that?

That would be smart. How about moving the Radeon into that system?

lorcani said:
That would be smart. How about moving the Radeon into that system?

Yup. I'll do that... In the morning :( Cant wake the parents up or I might not be getting money for upgrades/new parts if i need them.

I'll think I'll run memtest for now, and see if that comes up with any errors... and also run a HDD diagnostic... My harddrive "clicks" into use, when it goes from idle>high use... Might be bad... ugh.

Thanks for the help so far, will report back with findings tomorow :)

Edit: Any other ideas/suggestions are wanted. I like having options.

While booting it up this morning, (Just to see if the comp just wanted some down time...)
It goes through the boot process, gives me boot options screen (safemode etc..), shoes XP logo, lights on keyboard flash after awhile (like they normally would. but wait is longer) then a few seconds later, i hear the harddrive accessing files for a few seconds, *click* goes the harddrive, reboot...

Possible Hard-drive failure?

EDIT: Also tried running Mandrake Move... Thats a no go too. Tells me "No screens found" and that it Exited Abnormally :(

Sounds like your HD is beginning to fail. Wild idea, but try putting the HD in the freezer for a while, then reconnect it back up to see if it helps in at least backing data up just in case.

JSClark said:
Sounds like your HD is beginning to fail. Wild idea, but try putting the HD in the freezer for a while, then reconnect it back up to see if it helps in at least backing data up just in case.

Thats not a wild idea, thats a great idea... But I still have warantee, and theres no "Precioussss" Data on it, so I think im gonna phone the store i bought it from and see if i can get an exchange for a newer one...

Edit: Forgot i don't have the box for the drive... think this'll be a problem for returning.. argh.
Also realized I dont have my XP serial written down, and i lost my retail box and CD case. :( Gonna have to try the freezer trick to get it...

acetic said:
While booting it up this morning, (Just to see if the comp just wanted some down time...)
It goes through the boot process, gives me boot options screen (safemode etc..), shoes XP logo, lights on keyboard flash after awhile (like they normally would. but wait is longer) then a few seconds later, i hear the harddrive accessing files for a few seconds, *click* goes the harddrive, reboot...

Possible Hard-drive failure?

EDIT: Also tried running Mandrake Move... Thats a no go too. Tells me "No screens found" and that it Exited Abnormally :(

What did memtest do? That will help eliminate any problem with the RAM.

Back