Little help with my "HTPC" please!

RooK

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok... so its not really a HTPC... its a 8800 connected to a DVI to HDMI cable, but whatever :)

That cable is running probably around 20 feet or so... its got extensions, and I haven't tested it out, but hoepfully I won't get too much signal degredation.

However, the real problem comes here... I want to play my video games while sitting on my couch which is about 10 feet further from the TV.

So... Need 30 feet of USB cable...

And supposedly this doesn't work from the research i've done without buying lots of repeaters. No thanks.

Wireless, from what I understand probably won't cut 30 feet either... Bluetooth?

What solutions have you guys come up with?

i am not to sure what would work, but i beleive bluetooth has a 10ft limit, how big is your tv that u need to be thirty feet away from it?

Mac[X-D];1031849784 said:
i am not to sure what would work, but i beleive bluetooth has a 10ft limit, how big is your tv that u need to be thirty feet away from it?

Bluetooth has a 10METER maximum range. In theory it will work, but you'd be on the edge of it's capability. Give it a try and see though!

You're correct, a single USB cable can only be 5 meters in length. You'd need a powered hub to extend the range beyond that.

Bluetooth has a 10METER maximum range. In theory it will work, but you'd be on the edge of it's capability. Give it a try and see though!

You're correct, a single USB cable can only be 5 meters in length. You'd need a powered hub to extend the range beyond that.

yah... bluetooth will really be cutting it close... hmm...

Basically, I have 2 adjoining rooms - one is my computer room, the other is my living room.

I want to game on my couch as I gotta make use of those 46 inches of sharp LCD goodness :D

not an option - its at a very immovable desk.

I think this whole idea is going to go on the backburner... ah well

Not quite true...
This USB BlueTooth adapter http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833180047

is BT ver. 2.0 with EDR and has a range of 100 Meters in open space - so I think it would work accros a Living Room, but maybe not Bill Gates Living room. :D

Back