• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Little help with an old, dead PC...

DellAxim

Gawd
Joined
Feb 14, 2003
Messages
999
Trying to setup an old computer I have for an audio server. It is an Acer with an Athlon 64 dual core. It worked great about 6 months ago when I last used it. Tried to hook it up today, and the screen stays blank, and it beeps at me.

I tried unhooking all unnecessary components. I tried reseating the CPU. It has multiple RAM sticks, I tried them one at a time, in different slots, still nothing. BEEP.......BEEP.....BEEP....

Anything else to try before I toss it? Is it giving me some kind of code or just making random noise? It has no value but it's going to be a PITA for me to build another old computer to replace it...
 
You need to figure out what vendor Acer used and use Google to find a table to decipher beep codes.
Given that it's a A64 I'd guess that it has bad caps or whatever. You can most likely replace with a Odroid-C1 board, Wandboard, Hummingboard or a Cubox.

http://ameridroid.com/t/single-board-computers
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815580008&cm_re=cubox-_-15-580-008-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813455002&cm_re=cubox-_-13-455-002-_-Product
http://www.wandboard.org
//Danne
 
If you have another video card laying around you could give that a try too.
 
I bet the caps probably went bad. It spent the winter in an unheated space.


The catch is I've also got 3 old LCD monitors hooked up to it. I wanted to use it to view some security cameras also.

I suppose I could use USB > VGA adapters for that. Does anyone have a sub $75 board like that capable of running windows?
 
Back
Top