Little help with a mobo heatsink

Kenworth

2[H]4U
I was upgrading inside of my main rig yesterday and everything was going rather smoothly until I tried to install my H100.

I have a Coolermaster Storm Sniper case and an MSI X79A-GD45 (8D) motherboard for my socket 2011 upgrade. The H100 block fits nicely on the motherboard and mobo fits nicely in the case, but when I went to mount the radiator and fans in the top of the case, the Scythe GT's (one really) bumps up against the heat sink on the top of the motherboard. It sucked. So I had a few choices. Put the fans on the outside of the case for pull only, grind down the heatsink, or take off the heatsink and run the components up north without anything but just open air. I decided for the last option but the more I thought about it the more worried I am getting without really knowing the implications.

Here is what it looks like right now.

IMG_20120716_191341.jpg

And here is the picture of the heatsink by itself.

IMG_20120716_191431.jpg

So what would you all do? I would be totally fine without the hs with previous boards but this one I really am worried about killing if I run full out on the 3930k in it. I was encoding in Handbrake last night and those caps there got really hot. I also really don't want to grind down the hs about 5mm+ because it seems crazy in some respects. I could buy another case but that just seems more extreme than the first two options.

Recommendations? Thanks for anything you might suggest overall.

Well you really need to cool those mosfets if you are going to be overclocking or running high TDP processor.

Doesn't make ANY sense to be cooling the processor but remove cooling from the processor's main voltage regulators.

I would ditch the h100 for air cooling TBH

Thanks for the advice. I have the Megahalem that I was using before the H100 on standby but I really wanted to stick with the H100. It works pretty darn well for what I use it for. I don't overclock but I think that is still irrelevant in this situation. I need to get something on those components up there.

I was looking around at maybe some smaller individual heat sinks for each of the components so that I can still use the H100 but I don't really know if that would be a great solution. I have the side panel 200mm fan that would push against them if I went this route along with the H100 fans pulling up and over them. Again, maybe I am just grasping at straws here.

Solve all your problems and go get the new Cooler Master HAF XM case.

Back