Little HDD Problem

renovoCS

Weaksauce
So ive been dealing with this hard drive issuse that ive been having for the last week, I'm using Win XP and I have a 160 and a 40 gig.

I was sitting at my computer dicking around with something and one of the drives clicked and made a sound like it was respining. The comp froze and i had to shut it down. How I had it set you was I had the 160 part into three sections, the third one was a screw up of about 4 gig that I could not get fixed with partion magic. the 40 gig had no part. on it. So i had problems bringing up the os, i made a sacrafice and wiped out the 40 gig and reinstalled windows, great fine it was working, i then started pulling the files off the 160 on to the 40 to back them up, couple days later something happened and corupted the os so i couldn't load it anymore. The whole time i had the second drive connected.

I pissed now, I went ahead and wiped the 160 because i had pulled everything off there. I used my dianostic cd from WD on both drives and they both came back fine, and at one point or another that sound where it clicks and respin has happened on both. Once I had the 160 wiped i reinstalled the os made sure everythng was fine and it was working, added the second drive and it did its clicking thing again, was able to transfer some files but then it would slow down and state it couldn't read from the drive anymore, which i already new it was good.

I then thought maybe its not the drive could be the cable. I bought a set of rounded cables and the fdd went out only a year after buying so i thought maybe they were junk, replaced it with a brand new ribbon cable i had never used and still had the problem. When i discont the drive though it boots into the os with no problems at all.

Any and all help would be great. I've tempted to either go and get another drive or an external enclousre and get those files off of it and wipe the both of them and cross my fingers that it will work.

Thanks

no one? i want my stapler back, if i don't get it back i'll burn down the forum....i can do it.....i'll burn down the forum

Back