LiteCoin Causing Historic High Demand For AMD Radeon GPUs

Plus rent for the warehouse -- not to mention AC units to cool the place. Couple in components like others have said and you're quickly approaching 75K.

the Egg has the MSI 280X in stock for $299 again. It's been popping in and out of stock all day so my advice is to check and refresh as I did not get my in stock alert even though it was setup.

Bunch of 280x available on newegg right now though all priced over $400, same for the 290.

Only thing I'll say is AMD better not try and claim a high market share increase because of this. The cards are not being used for gaming.

Yeah they're being ruined to chase a gold rush which for many won't exist. I'd hate to be the guy in charge of RMA's in 3-4 months haha

Bitcoins are tanking today. Looks like AMD GPU prices will normalize, soon. Good news for actual..uhhh....gamers I guess.

litecoins now @ $20, look for FS/FT 280/290 cards! buyers remorse kicks in pretty hard when the time to pay back is now 3x what it was when you plopped down the credit card=p

I really hope this virtual coin stuff is just a passing phase and almost done with. I want to switch back to AMD, but not at these prices.

I thought it was pretty pimp in the show "Almost Human" tonight, they had a lady trying to make a payment for her fake heart with Bitcoin.....

Like I said in another thread, Newegg's stock hasn't run dry in a week now, they just keep putting up a few cards here in there, come January when the next shipment comes, I'm sure prices will drop on the cards.

I really hope this virtual coin stuff is just a passing phase and almost done with. I want to switch back to AMD, but not at these prices.

It's happened before with AMD but just hasn't received as much attention as now. The 5870 generation had a price spike as it was more efficient for bitcoin mining (due to VLIW4 vs VLIW5 architecture) then the then newly released 6970s.

Currently you actually have a few compounding factors besides the mining demand causing this issue.

You'll notice the price spiked after the holiday shopping season, which likely had volume further emptying supply in the retail chain. Then you had AMD, and to some extent Nvidia as well, in a transition period going to new products while trying to clear old inventory, this would apply to their AIB partners as well.

For instance it was mentioned that overclockers.co.uk (a retailer) was waiting for the custom 290/290x to come to market for significantly more shipments.

Also I'm somewhat curious about actual supply levels of 280x cards. Previously the chip was split into 2 different, and later 3 (or 4 depending on how you look at it), product lines to maximize yields for less than perfect chips. But at the moment there is only one product line, the 280x, with more demanding requirements (except for the Ghz 7970, and only slightly lower then). Are yield improvements so much better that there are actually similar amounts of 280x chips being produced as 7950, 7970, 7970ghz, and 7870xt chips combined?

There was also that rumor of the 280x getting a new revision to support True Audio. I wonder if that actually did pan out to be true and is playing into the supply side issue.

Back