Lite-On DVD-ROM (Internal) Installation WEIRDNESS

mark4man

n00b
hello again...

Last night I installed a Lite-On DVD-ROM Drive in one of the 5-1/4" bays on my recording studio's audio workstation (an ADK Core2). My ribbon cable wasn't long enough (they never are), so I went to Micro Center for a cable upgrade.

I already had a Plextor Premium CD-RW installed at the end of the cable, for burning CD-A's, so I placed the Lite-On DVD-ROM at the middle. BOTH drives are jumpered to 'Cable Select' (I think...it's been awhile on the Plextor...but I'm certain about the Lite-On).

So I fire up the PC this morning…it recognizes the drive…installs the appropriate Windows whatever…tells me the new hardware is ready to go…& I try to install my new recording software w/ the new DVD-ROM, Cubase 5. This is what I get:

DVD_NoRead.jpg

At first, I thought it was because this software requires a dongle to operate. So I popped that in a USB port…but the same thing happened (then, I realized this should not be a requirement because the iLok software has to be installed somehow…in this case, the manual tells me from Cubase 5’s installation DVD).

So, to troubleshoot the problem, I threw another DVD-based program in the Lite-On. The drive read THIS particular app’s install folders & executable file perfectly.

To further troubleshoot the problem (this time checking the install disk itself), I fired up my external DVD-RW (a Plextor PX-750UF) via USB. I put the Cubase install disk in that drive…& it read it…the installation folders & *.exe popped right up…!!!

So…what could be wrong:

The Cubase Installation DVD is apparently OK…it works fine in a different drive.

The Lite-On reads other DVD’s…but not the Cubase install disk.

If my cabling or jumper positions were incorrect in the box…the two drives (CD-RW & DVD-ROM) wouldn’t be recognized or wouldn’t work, right? (I did notice that my 'BIOS' & 'System Info' has the Lite-On listed as a CD-ROM…but 'Windows Explorer' & 'Device Manager' recognize it as what it is, right down to the mfg).

I’m not getting this…could it be that the Lite-On doesn’t recognize DVDs that contain iLok protection ??? (but that question doesn’t make sense, either).

Clueless here…could use some help…thanks,

mark4man

Last edited:
UPDATE:

I opened up the audio box to check the jumper config. The Plextor was set to Master & the Lite-On was set to Cable Select (was wrong initially). I changed the Plextor to 'Cable Select' (to match the Lite-On)...but that didn't make any difference.

mf

Back