Listing of driver database for XP ?

mhenley

[H]ard|Gawd
I am trying to find a complete list of all the hardware makes and models that are support natively by Windows XP. Partial lists are available from certain manufacturer's websites, but I want a complete list so that I can look up multiple pieces and find out whether they're supported without having to go hunting around to all the manufacturer's sites.

Thanks.

This is the best thing you're going to find:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx

So you're looking for specific hardware to see if it works with XP? If it's been made since Windows XP was out then it will (most likely) work. If it's something prior to XP even then it works in most cases.

That's part of my reason for wanting to find such a list, because I'm not absolutely certain when some of the hardware in question was produced. What I'm wanting to do is look at all the spare parts I have laying around, and see which ones are native to which OS (or OS's) and label them so I don't have to keep a large cache of drivers stored locally on diskettes (one for each part). The last thing I want to do is spent many many hours testing each card on each OS trying to find which one has the drivers for it already. It would be less time consuming to be working on a system, come to a point where I need to check something, walk over to my rack and grab a known working (here's a good example) Ethernet card, stick it in and not have to worry about drivers, so I can get back to working on the real problem faster... Right now, its stick it in, boot, install drivers, reboot, go back to work...

If such a list isn't available, I guess I'll just have to deal with it.

Back