List Your Sexual Orientation on Xbox Live

WTF do those acronyms mean?

....and people segregate themselves into <insert acronym here> communities and then bitch that people are treating them differently.... huh... did I miss something somewhere? :confused:

Seems like people just have too much free time on their hands and are banding together to create something to bitch about and play the victim role. If being gay is really no big deal, why do so many people keep trying to make it a big deal? Its like all the white people yelling and screaming for black folks...

Is it people wanting to be a victim of something or is it other people who want victims to help? People are going to hate, thats the way it is. If you throw things in their face they are just going to hate more.... unless thats what you want, the more you can get them to hate you the more of a victim you become (or savior to the "victims" if thats what you're after).... :rolleyes:

People trying NOT to be the victim are banding together for strength. Did you know that transgendered people in America have a 1 in 12 chance of being murdered? That's according to the Human Rights Campaign and the Harvey Milk Institute (1999). Do you think we can handle that alone? We never asked to be treated any differently, only fairly. And if you're confused on acronyms (what nerd isn't every now and then?), there's this website called "Google" that searches the internet for matches to your query.

Ok, Ok.. I can settle this whole discussion...

Sexual preference in your gamer profile has as much relevance as your political affiliation!!

....in other words, NONE. It's not relevant and doesn't belong there!

People trying NOT to be the victim are banding together for strength. Did you know that transgendered people in America have a 1 in 12 chance of being murdered? That's according to the Human Rights Campaign and the Harvey Milk Institute (1999). Do you think we can handle that alone? We never asked to be treated any differently, only fairly. And if you're confused on acronyms (what nerd isn't every now and then?), there's this website called "Google" that searches the internet for matches to your query.

Statistics mean nothing... Sexual preference is not a badge you wear on your sleeve, end of story.

Statistics mean nothing... Sexual preference is not a badge you wear on your sleeve, end of story.

Yes, yes it is, unless you want to stop straight couples from kissing and holding hands in public, it is very much worn as a badge.
That wasn't a very good story.

Ok, Ok.. I can settle this whole discussion...

Sexual preference in your gamer profile has as much relevance as your political affiliation!!

....in other words, NONE. It's not relevant and doesn't belong there!

But they weren't discriminating against Democrats or Republicans. If someone wants to put something in their gamer profile that doesn't hurt or effect anyone else, then they should be able to.

I wonder how many young kids will read "Transgender" as "Transformer."

Give how many transgenders don't don't make it clear what sex that are, it won't take kids long to just start calling 'em Decepticons...

Give how many transgenders don't don't make it clear what sex that are, it won't take kids long to just start calling 'em Decepticons...

"Transgenders" don't have to make their sex clear. They have no responsibility to make themselves anything they are not purely for your convenience. You also have no idea what gender people are around you, even though they may conform to your gender stereotypes. Also, look up "trans panic" in case you're wondering why you just made an offensive statement. In short, someone kills a transgendered person in a fit of rage after discovering that they are not what the person originally thought, then they claim "trans panic" in court. It's OK to murder someone if you're confused, apparently.

Your sexual preference has no place on a gaming device.

I don't' even care to hear about it here. LGBT? Aren't there websites dedicated to you folks?

I may not have anything against you, but I don't appreciate having the woes of the LBGT community shoved in my face. Just as I wouldn't want a straight normal guy complaining that his man meat is too small.

In short, someone kills a transgendered person in a fit of rage after discovering that they are not what the person originally thought, then they claim "trans panic" in court. It's OK to murder someone if you're confused, apparently.

Sounds like someone was really stupid hitting on a straight guy while they themselves are packing meat. I wouldn't kill someone over it, but I would be pissed.

Murder may not be justified, but in this case the "victim" was the original perpetrator.

I don't get it, why would I even be interested in letting people know my sexual orientation when I'll just be gaming with people without a face

they could be some fat ass gay slob, what do I care? Do I really need to see his sexual orientation in his gamer tag? It means nothing to me.

It's not like I'm going to hop in a game with a bunch of people where there's a fair mix and start asking if they wanna meet back at my place or some shit

there's this thing called REAL LIFE

We can discuss our sexuality there.

"Transgenders" don't have to make their sex clear. They have no responsibility to make themselves anything they are not purely for your convenience. You also have no idea what gender people are around you, even though they may conform to your gender stereotypes. Also, look up "trans panic" in case you're wondering why you just made an offensive statement. In short, someone kills a transgendered person in a fit of rage after discovering that they are not what the person originally thought, then they claim "trans panic" in court. It's OK to murder someone if you're confused, apparently.

I am aware of that. It's not okay to murder someone, but it's also quite deceptive to get someone interested/turned on when they do figure that you are female. Building a relationship on deception isn't quite honest, now is it?

Sorry, transgenders being called Transformers made me think of the two types that are odds: Autobots, and... Decepticons...

BTW: the "trans panic" defense didn't work... at all... so don't go thinking jurors won't uphold the law...

And it wasn't a fit of rage, it was premeditated... But he also wasn't confused, he was... deceived... He wouldn't have spent two seconds with Angel had he known... But no, that does not justify murder...

Affairs of the heart shouldn't be built on deception... Everyone needs to accept that...

Why was this even needed. So all the 12 year olds on xbox live can stop using racial slurs and now start calling people fags and homo.

lol GG Fail!

I know its not new, but it will just get worse now! Gamers don't need to know other peoples sexual preference. If you need everyone to know that update your damn facebook page!

whats the point? Does it even make the slightest difference? It makes me wonder who game up with the idea and considered it to be a significant enough issue for gamers to list their orientation.

Blaming the victim. It's not my fault if someone calls me a "fag". Why should we reward the people who want to do bad things by making a large group of people be quiet? If you want something in your own profile, and it doesn't infringe on the rights of others, then it shouldn't be a problem to anyone. I know that Xbox Live isn't a public forum, but I'd like to think that some great American ideals would seep through.

And how is not having your sexual preference listed in your profile keeping you quiet? It isn't keeping you quiet any more then it is keeping me quiet. That is a silly assumption. The bolded part is naive at best, delusional at worst. Again you forget, that live is the internet. Actually it is much more then that, it is a gaming community. While I would like to say I am associated as a whole with mature forward thinking individuals, the reality is I am associated with immature morons mostly.

And how do you do that? By raising awareness bit by bit, making the strange less so. You're also forgetting that many clinical/derogatory terms have been abandoned altogether. When is the last time you've called a mentally handicapped person a "trainable"? "Fag" has also never been a clinical word, so I fail to see how it applies here.
And I don't understand your conclusion. Previously, Microsoft was trying to "legislate morality". They've given up on that, and now allow people to do what they want. They are doing exactly what they should do, according to your post.

This doesn't raise awareness, or even help the LBGT cause one bit. Changing the rules so you aren't banned for your preferences helps. Making you display your preference is not a positive step. I cannot imagine how someone who is part of that community could view this as making them anything except a larger target for the hatemongers.

Wow.

To anyone who just doesn't get why this is such a big deal for the LGBT/LGBTQ community, I feel kind of sorry for how isolated you are. Especially you Kyle. I don't mean that in a nasty way, just in a shocked kind of way.

Maybe I had it lucky. When I was at university at the University of East Anglia (UEA) in England, there was a huge LGBT community there. To that day I'd only known one gay guy and in spite of my best intentions was pretty damned biased myself, without realising it either. It wasn't until I got to know a large number of people from this community, just by virtue of being on the same courses, that I realised what a complete dumbwit I had been being.

This is a BIG deal. Please don't try to joke it off and sweep it under the carpet like it's not important. Not having to pretend your sexuality doesn't exist or is a bannable offence for mentioning is huge. Feeling free to be who you are, irrespective of sexuality, is as important, maybe more important to some, as it is to be clear about your ethnicity.

Imagine, if you will, a parallel world where you weren't allowed to declare your ethnicity (I won't use race as there is only one race for us: the human race) on Xbox Live. Everyone would be assumed "white" by default. If you tried to say what ethnicity you were, you could be in serious trouble. Now imagine that pressure was put on Microsoft to change this. You could now clearly talk about your ethnicity with pride without fear of lynching or mob retaliation, due to moderators actively defending your right to be whoever the hell you are.

That's what this is like. It's like emancipation, just instead of it being about ethnicity, it's about sexuality.

Maybe being prejudiced about sexuality is the new "racism". If so, do you REALLY want to side with the hatemongers?

Sadly you are siding with the hatemongers and just don't realize it. They want it to be easier to single their targets of hate out, and this change is simply assisting them in doing that. I took a few hours before replying again to get a few of my gay friends opinions on this. Too a one they were aghast at this change and couldn't believe MS would do something this detrimental to them.

If you were trying to "Not" be a victim, then you wouldn't be asking for things that shoved your beliefs into others faces. I don't need to know someone's sexual orientation in a game anymore then they need to know mine. This type of change makes it easier for people to be victimized, not harder.

Yes, yes it is, unless you want to stop straight couples from kissing and holding hands in public, it is very much worn as a badge.
That wasn't a very good story.

No it is not. I would go into the merits of this, but since public actions != what this thread is about I won't. Simply leave it at this; I see LBGT couples holding hands and kissing all the time where I am. No one bothers or confronts them on their obvious preference. A gaming community is a far different thing however. People who aren't constrained by potential for public humiliation, getting their ass physically kicked etc, tend to be far nastier. You quite simply cannot apply the same rules to an open gaming community that you could a public gathering place. People will behave entirely differently as inhibitions are removed.

In closing, While I fully support the LBGT movement for equality, including gay marriage. I do not view this as a positive step in that movement. I view it as a regression due to an inherit misunderstanding of the very real differences between virtual and non virtual communities. Unfortunately MS has opened a pandoras box here, and I suspect it will be a very short period of time before things get very ugly.

All comments everywhere about this are about sexual orientation, but how about nationality and political views, how come nationality wasn't allowed in the first place anyway? WTF?

All comments everywhere about this are about sexual orientation, but how about nationality and political views, how come nationality wasn't allowed in the first place anyway? WTF?

And how come I can't state the God/gods I worship? It has as much relevance to gaming as my gender. I will own these noobs and they'll see that by following Thor, they too, can acquire my abilities.

Actually that is also new I think, that you can state religion, but at least that firs into the imaginary world concept of gaming.

BTW they say they had a discussion with the gay and lesbian groups about what can be said in games andsoforth and from that comes the sexual preference choice, it's more to enable gays to be out than to aid in dating I think.

Or/and maybe you can say "you are gay" in games when your profiles says you are gay :)

I don't know why you can't state that information, but what does that have to do with allowing people to optionally state their sexual preference in a location where you are not forced to read it?

While this could have been an encouraging sign of letting people personalize their profile, it seems completely pointless. There is no reason for anyone to use this at all, regardless of gender or sexual identity because it brings nothing of value to the community.

If this were part of a profile overhaul where you had the option to engage in, say, facebook-style networking along with gaming, then sure. But just sticking it in there in its present form is just confusing and pointless.

If I had a Xbox, i'd want to state that I worship Mars, the God of War

I'm going to make a joke and I do have something to actually add to this:

All I want to know is can I change my Avatara action from duche? I mean most of the motions I'd never do, that whole clapping for myself and one finger up in the air after you outfit them... yeah no.
Seriously this goes a bit deeper than that with the fact that the 360 avatar system isn't that expressive, I was unable to create myself but less than 3 minutes on the Wii and I have a doppelganger!

The last time I checked, which was at the start of the deployment, you couldn't put items from one sex on the other, some items seem to be assigned to booth which seem like they would normally be one or the other but for the most part its locked to gender. What would David Spade do for his hair?

Okay, that was two jokes.

Back