List of 20"+ LCDs with Aspect Ratio Control?

sethk

2[H]4U
OK, I know my Dell 2405 can control the aspect ratio (1:1, aspect and fill), so I also assume the 2407 can. I have heard the nearly as expensive NEC 20WMGX2 can as well.

Can people list any other LCDs that are known to support aspect ratio control, 20" and up? I will keep the list updated as much as possible.

- ASUS PW201 (20" P-MVA? - for non-PC Inputs only)
- Benq FP231W (23" S-IPS - Unconfirmed)
- Dell 2405 (24" S-PVA)
- Dell 2407 (24" S-PVA)
- Dell 2007fpw (20" S-IPS)
- Dell 2005fpw (20")
- Gateway FPD2185W (21" S-PVA)
- HP L2335 and F2304 (23" S-IPS)
- NEC 20WMGX2 (20" ASIPS - possibly for non-PC Inputs only, not confirmed)
- Samsung 215TW (21" S-PVA)

Why are you worried about if monitors support centered mode or not? Can't you do it in driver software? :confused: xbox in maybe?

NVIDIA supports aspect ratio/centering on all LCDs (kudos to them) since it's performed on the GPU. I believe Intel does as well, but I can't confirm that. I know for a fact ATI can not do either on its GPU.

I am concerned because of input from non-computer sources. There are no non-computer sources that will correctly display images on a LCD computer monitor without aspect ratio control.

Consoles include the Xbox, PS2, Xbox 360 and the PS3 when it launches.
Video sources include my HD cable box and DVD player (I have a progressive component -> VGA convertor box for 480p and 720p component -> VGA).
4:3 sources are the non HD channels and a VHS deck (mostly used as a tuner) and sometimes 4:3 DVDs.

I know about Nvidia's control panel software abilities. I'm looking for a monitor to handle non computer inputs correctly.

xtknight said:

"Also FYI the 2405 uses only a PVA (4 domain with limited viewing angle) panel."

I know - I have a 2405 and I want to get rid of it!

xtknight said:
NVIDIA supports aspect ratio/centering on all LCDs (kudos to them) since it's performed on the GPU. I believe Intel does as well, but I can't confirm that. I know for a fact ATI can not do either on its GPU.

Barely, and only with certain monitors.

For instance my on my Viewsonic VX2025WM the scaling options in the nVidia control panel don't do squat. Applies to my new 7950GX2 and my 7900GT that I had before. :(

xtknight said:
The NEC 20WMGX2 can not do aspect ratio or centering on its DSP when hooked up to the PC via DVI or VGA mode.

I may be wrong, but I do believe the European version of this monitor does, and does it well from what I've read. Sadly, this is a deal-breaker for me. Too bad, as I was about to order one, but since I have an ATi card.... :( Why NEC chose to do this to the North American version sure puzzles me, and many other ATi owners, I'm sure. It's almost enough to make me try and figure out a way to get a European one shipped over !

To the O/P.... thanks for starting this list...... now back to shopping I go !

xtknight said:
The NEC 20WMGX2 can not do aspect ratio or centering on its DSP when hooked up to the PC via DVI or VGA mode.
The same goes for the ASUS PW201. It definitely has working aspect control for S-Video, though. I haven't tested the component and composite inputs.

tightline said:
Why are you worried about if monitors support centered mode or not? Can't you do it in driver software? :confused: xbox in maybe?

A lot of us, myself included, don't watch TV, and therefore don't need a TV.

So instead of buying one giant expensive LCD TV for watching DVDs and playing xbox, and ANOTHER giant expensive LCD monitor for the computer, it makes a hell of a lot of sense to buy one single, kick ass LCD monitor that does it all.

Unfortunately, it seems that most monitor makes have yet to clue into the fact that this strong niche market even exists.

Back