Liquid cooling with long tubing, using outdoor radiator.

Decker87

Limp Gawd
I have never done a water-cooling setup before, and I would like to give it a shot. I am not a huge overclocker, but I would like to remove the noise and heat of having fans in my room. I would like to build a system where I can actually have a radiator outside my window.

I have some questions regarding this:
  • Do they make cases that have pre-made holes/nozzles for external tubing?
  • For cases that do not, do they make a part that attaches to the computer case, and provide an attachment point for tubes on both sides?
  • Are there any limitations on the length of tubing? (pump specs, etc)
  • Do they make weather-proof fan/radiator enclosures for outdoor use?
  • Do standard 120mm PC fans typically operate at -60F?
  • Is it possible to eliminate in-case fans entirely?
  • In regard to the above item, must I take care in purchasing computer components that have liquid-cooling heatsinks available?
  • Is it necessary to have a reservoir? What are the challenges of not having one?
  • Do they make screw-style fittings for mating hoses with other parts?
  • What is the quietest pump available?

Last edited:
1. yes most newer cases come presetup for water cooling now
3. theres no real limit on length of tubing but obviously the longer the distance the stronger the pump you will want since you don't want the ambient temp increasing the temp of the water going through the line. you will also want to insulate the incoming line to keep that from happening.
4. you may want to look at using an old car radiator.
5. yes but i wouldn't just run low rpm fans say 800rpm or less, you always want moving air in the case for the motherboard.
6.yes look around the water cooling sub forum at the top of the page and look at some of the work logs/builds people have done to get an idea.
7. no but its a good idea to have one since the liquid will eventually evaperate and the res will allow you to control that water level and keep air bubbles from forming in the lines as the water evaperates.
8. for your application quick release's would probably be the best option i would think.
9. check the watercooling sub forum.

note: i'm not an expert on water cooling(been a few years since i've done full custom setups so i'm a bit rusty on a lot of the newer hardware) but my above post should give you a general idea to help with what you are planning to do. i highly suggest you check out the water cooling sub forum at the top of this forum, you will get a much better idea to help you with your plan's.

I would like to build a system where I can actually have a radiator outside my window.

Don't forget that the ambient air temp outside will be the limiting factor in which your radiator can cool your system. If you have it outside and the ambient temp is 40°C, then your watercooling setup can only cool down to 40°C plus the delta that system generates.

Long story short....Don't expect a rad that is outside in the hot sun to work as well as a rad that is inside the house with air conditioning !!!
Also, don't forget that winter will freeze your rad which might block water flow completely.

you don't want the ambient temp increasing the temp of the water going through the line. you will also want to insulate the incoming line to keep that from happening.

no need for insulation, you are trying to radiate heat, not stop it.
if ambient > water temp, then the radiator is going to act to warm your water anyway.

no useful amount of heat would be gained or lost in the lines, when compared to the amount gained or lost in the radiator. also incoming temp is going to be roughly = to outgoing temp unless your flowrate is extremely low.

If your water temp dips below ambient then you will need to take condensation into consideration as well.

Back