Liquid cooling filter?

If you properly flush your gear, specifically the radiators, you won't need this.

I personally wouldn't. In the event something clog the filter (assuming plasticizer/corrosion/algae etc) it will likely starve your pump and instead of just having some possibly cleanable gunk in your loop and bad temps. You now have said gunk + a dead pump.

I personally wouldn't. In the event something clog the filter (assuming plasticizer/corrosion/algae etc) it will likely starve your pump and instead of just having some possibly cleanable gunk in your loop and bad temps. You now have said gunk + a dead pump.

Yea I mean, if you think about it there are only a few possible outcomes when running this:

1) It gets clogged, you have to break down the entire system to clean it.

2) It doesn't get clogged, you didn't need it in the first place.

So, looking at situation 1, if you didn't have the filter what would happen? Your CPU block has the channels get gunked up, performance drops, you have to break down the entire system to clean it. Basically exactly the same end result as the filter, you are just cleaning a different part. So I don't really see any advantage to this at all.

Yea I mean, if you think about it there are only a few possible outcomes when running this:

So, looking at situation 1, if you didn't have the filter what would happen? Your CPU block has the channels get gunked up, performance drops, you have to break down the entire system to clean it. Basically exactly the same end result as the filter, you are just cleaning a different part. So I don't really see any advantage to this at all.

Very good points!

You could place the filter inline after the pump with loss-less QDCs on each end. a plugging filter would decrease flow to the blocks, but not starve the pump. in the event of a catastrophic pump failure it would keep debris from entering the blocks and radiator. removing the filter and cleaning would cause minimal bleeding.

that being said, I have never heard of an catastrophic failure, and if you are needing to switch out coolant every 6 months or even yearly, you are using the wrong coolant.

if you are super concerned with contaminates going in, pour through a coffee filter or two when filling.

And don't forget 3) Pump could suffocate in both situations (if you are unlucky). I like your breakdown!

You could place the filter inline after the pump with loss-less QDCs on each end. a plugging filter would decrease flow to the blocks, but not starve the pump. in the event of a catastrophic pump failure it would keep debris from entering the blocks and radiator. removing the filter and cleaning would cause minimal bleeding.

that being said, I have never heard of an catastrophic failure, and if you are needing to switch out coolant every 6 months or even yearly, you are using the wrong coolant.

if you are super concerned with contaminates going in, pour through a coffee filter or two when filling.

Ya know I felt the same way but talking with the hardcore watercooling guys they swap every 6 to 9 months it seems.. I would rather do yearly cleanings and probably would I would do. I am running Mayhems Pastel coolant which some have ran 2 years with no issues.

Filter seems like it'd do more harm than good. Especially if you just stick with distilled and add in some biocide you should be good for a long time.

Anyone run filters on their setups? I had a couple guys recommend them but this was the first I have heard of running a filter.. this is the one that was recommended.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/koolance-inline-coolant-filter-0-27mm-particles-no-nozzles.html

I had that and thought it was a good idea.

Its a pain in the ass to open up for cleaning.

Its really just the screen from a faucet inside a compression fitting.

Because its a royal pain to clean, I didn't, so it became a flow restriction. It never killed my pumps though, no matter how bad it got... it is just a screen, not a sponge, and it is dome shaped so larger stuff will fall to the edges of the filter.

If you think you need a filter (I get it, sometimes you know there is gunk in your lines and you don't want to have to replace all your tubing or something like that), I would try some screening, sponge, or cloth that can fit inside your radiator (assuming you have a radiator that is easy to open up and remove the filter). The biggest thing about filters is making sure that they are easy to replace/clean, otherwise you won't do it!

Back