Liquid Cooled LCD

Therealmaster967

Weaksauce
Has anyone liquid cooled their LCD panels? I'm trying to remove as much heat from the computer room as possible, and the seven LCD's are really putting out a lot of heat. I'd like to cool them down.

The heat has to be dumped somewhere. It will still end up in your room via your rads.
Posted via Mobile Device

a fan, how would you cool the screen, the heat comes from the lights and such.

a fan, how would you cool the screen, the heat comes from the lights and such.

I'm not sure, hence the question. I would think a decent cold plate behind the diffuser and such would still help remove much of the heat generated.

i'm pretty sure air conditioning would be much cheaper

And not as [H]ard. Nor as cheap, over the years.

What LCD screens do you have?

Dell 2407WFP, Dell 2408WFP, and Dell 1708FPs

You'd need a large, flat water block to attach to the backlight... the only ones I can think of are these Koolance HDD cooling blocks, but you'd need a few of them for each display to get good coverage. Would get pretty expensive.

Another idea is to create some shrouds at the back of each LCD to channel the hot air through a rad that's running chilled water (i.e., cooled by remotely located phase change or TECs). Sort of a reverse water cooling setup with the rads pulling the heat out of the air and moving it to another room. Not exactly power or cost-efficient though.

I was gonna suggest air conditioning then saw the [H]ard put down so I'll keep my trap shut :p.

easiest solution for the electronics:
encase them + a large watercooling block in some heat conductive pouring resin

the ccfls are more difficult because you cant fully encase them:
you could glue half pipes onto them with heat conductive 2k glue
the half pipes also need to be connected to heat pipes or at least some heat conductive metal
and that needs direct contact to your water cooling block or a to big metal block in your resin

that should take over 90% of the heat away

I was gonna suggest air conditioning then saw the [H]ard put down so I'll keep my trap shut :p.

Actually, I think AC could be a good solution. If you get one of those in room ac units from Home Cheapo, some of them are a split system with a inside part for cooling and an outside part for dumping the heat.

The problem I see with any liquid cooling is that there isn't any part of the display that gets hot enough to transfer heat efficently. In a computer you have both a cpu and gpu that are running at much higher temps so it is pretty easy to collect heat from them. Maybe if you chill the liquid with a block of ice or something.

The one problem with a window or in room AC unit is noise. I have central AC and a over sized duct to my home office so it is a non-issue for me.

Last but not least; I had a Dell 2407wfp and it did not seem to generate that much heat to me. I guess if you run several of them for long periods of time.

Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of liquid cooling especially for a HTPC, mine is dead silent, thanks to a Thermaltake Resorator V1.

This is an Interesting idea. Let us know how it works out.

Dave

I keep thinking this thread must be an April Fools but since it's only March, I dunno.

You'd need a large, flat water block to attach to the backlight... the only ones I can think of are these Koolance HDD cooling blocks, but you'd need a few of them for each display to get good coverage. Would get pretty expensive.

Another idea is to create some shrouds at the back of each LCD to channel the hot air through a rad that's running chilled water (i.e., cooled by remotely located phase change or TECs). Sort of a reverse water cooling setup with the rads pulling the heat out of the air and moving it to another room. Not exactly power or cost-efficient though.

There's an idea. Possibly shroud the LCD array, and put a heat exchanger and a fan in the shroud, to help capture some of the heat from the arrays.

Actually, I think AC could be a good solution. If you get one of those in room ac units from Home Cheapo, some of them are a split system with a inside part for cooling and an outside part for dumping the heat.

The problem I see with any liquid cooling is that there isn't any part of the display that gets hot enough to transfer heat efficently. In a computer you have both a cpu and gpu that are running at much higher temps so it is pretty easy to collect heat from them. Maybe if you chill the liquid with a block of ice or something.

The one problem with a window or in room AC unit is noise. I have central AC and a over sized duct to my home office so it is a non-issue for me.

Last but not least; I had a Dell 2407wfp and it did not seem to generate that much heat to me. I guess if you run several of them for long periods of time.

Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of liquid cooling especially for a HTPC, mine is dead silent, thanks to a Thermaltake Resorator V1.

This is an Interesting idea. Let us know how it works out.

Dave

The displays get warm, and pump enough energy into the room that it gets up to 90*F in the room after a few hours of working at the computer doing 'basic' tasks, so it's not mostly heat from the CPU's or anything. There is no way to condition the air in the rental I'm currently in, due to landlord / lease specs.

I understand the basic thermodynamics, the greater the delta t the easier and more efficient the system will transfer heat, the 100*F air coming off the LCDs is not much greater than 70* sink air, but possibly with a decent shroud and a LONG radiator along one end of the shroud, with fans pushing from the other end, might cut the output difference in half or so. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

Back